VOGONS

First post, by modul8r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FYI, I recently came across the following website and wanted to share it with the VOGONS community. Noticing that the site is outdated, I e-mailed their support contact and the person who replied told me these SIMMConn adapters are still available.

http://simmconn.tripod.com

If I'm strictly playing Win9x/DOS games, and not doing anything music production related, what benefits are there from adding RAM to an AWE64?

Reply 1 of 3, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, with the extra RAM, you can use bigger and better soundfonts with games that support General Midi music. However, DOS games that offer native support the AWE32 will not likely see any improvement. These games will likely load their own Soundfont. I don't believe any game assumed that the AWE32 has anymore than the stock 512KB of RAM on the card and thus used a better quality soundfont. In addition, Protected Mode DOS games will not work with the AWE32's General Midi emulation. In Windows 9x, the AWE32 or AWE64 is just another General Midi device.

Personally, for Windows only games, I would simply buy a Sound Blaster Live! That card is PCI based, has better SnR capabilities than any Creative ISA card, uses System Memory for Soundfonts, and supports EAX 1.0, 2.0 and A3D 1.0.