VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should have meet the following needs in your sound devices:

1. 8-bit Sound Blaster or Compatible
Choices: Sound Blaster 1.0/1.5; Sound Blaster Pro 1.0; Sound Blaster Pro 2.0; Mediavision Thunderboard
Recommendation: Sound Blaster Pro 2.0
Runner Up: Sound Blaster Pro 1.0

I used to believe that the Pro 1.0 was the best of the early Sound Blasters, but I have changed my mind considering that I could find only one game that that takes advantage of its two OPL2 chips for stereo music, while many, many more can take advantage of the stereo OPL3 chip of the Pro 2.0. Also, the Pro 2.0 is much easier to find, is otherwise 100% downward compatible with previous Sound Blasters. Most games support both Pros. If you don't want a Pro 2.0 for some reason, then a Pro 1.0 is an excellent alternative, especially if you don't want midi devices. Either Pro will work in an 8-bit slot, and the SB 16 and later models are not completely compatible with the Pro.

2. 16-bit Sound Blaster
Choices: Sound Blaster 16; Sound Blaster 32; Sound Blaster AWE32; Sound Blaster AWE64
Recommendation: Sound Blaster AWE64 Standard or Gold
Runner Up: Sound Blaster 16 ASP w/DSP 4.05

With the SIMMConn adapter being available for the AWE64, it does not matter a whole lot whether you get a more common AWE64 Standard or an AWE64 Gold. Without their respective bundles the cards operate the same, just that one is less noisy. Stay away from the AWE64 Value because that card lacks a proper mixer chip. The AWE64 should be about as compatible with the early Sound Blasters as the Sound Blaster 16, but its output is much less noisy. If you hate the PnP nature of the 64, need a waveblaster connector, or demand true OPL3, then the Sound Blaster 16 is a great alternative, but only if the DSP is 4.05 or lower.

3. Ultrasound
Choices: Ultrasound Classic; Ultrasound MAX; Ultrasound ACE; Ultrasound Extreme; Ultrasound PnP
Recommendation: Ultrasound ACE
Runner Up: Ultrasound PnP

For the Ultrasound, my favorite choice is the ACE, which was designed to co-exist with a Sound Blaster. Only on the ACE can you disable the card from listening at the Adlib ports. The ACE is, unlike every other Ultrasound, not a full-length card. It comes with 512KB and can be easily upgraded by raiding video cards of RAM modules. No gameport conflicts either. If you can't find the ACE, the best alternative is the Interwave-based PnP. I don't know how solid its Classic compatibility is, but its Windows features are great.

4. MPU-401 Interface
Choices: MPU-401 + MIF-IPC/MIF-IPC-A; MPU-IPC; MPU-IPC-T; MPU-401AT; LAPC-I; SCC-1
Recommendation: MPU-401 w/ ROM 1.5A + MIF-IPC/MIF-IPC-A
Runner Up: MPU-IPC-T

I was lucky here to find my recommendated setup. Its great because the real components are in the external box, and if you have multiple cards you can use one box for as many computers as you have, provided you don't need the box for more than one system at a time. If you can't find this combination, then use the MPU-IPC-T, which has the advantage of configurable I/O and IRQ settings. However, most games expect a MPU-401 interface at one setting.

5. LA Synthesis
Choices: MT-32, MT-100, CM-32L, CM-64, CM-500; LAPC-I
Recommendation: Roland CM-32L
Runner Up: Roland MT-32 rev 0

Always a tough choice. The CM-32L has extra sound effects that the MT-32 does not have and they are supported in several games. However, the MT-32 (rev 0 only) has a slightly different sound character at times, and some games sound slightly better when played on the MT-32. Don't forget the messages that can appear on the MT-32's LED screen. Either choice is an excellent buy, but some games really sound like something is lacking if they use an MT-32 as opposed to a CM-32L.

6. GM Synthesis
Choices: Any Roland GM/GS or Yamaha XG device; Ensoniq Soundscape; Creative Waveblaster;
Recommendation: Roland SC-55ST
Runner Up: Yamaha MU-10XG

This is truly a matter of taste, as there was no real standard for GM composition, except for the Roland Sound Canvas. My recommendation is a, literally, vanilla midi module with only one midi input. The runner up is an XG device from Yamaha, which is perhaps the second best choice for PC GM music. Again, a simple module will do.

Reply 1 of 3, by Riboflavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll go along with this. 😀

Well-summarized information. If only we could still buy all these cards at the local comp-shop!

I'd like to add...

Alternative to LM synthesis + GM/GS synthesis:

If you can't locate the hardware for both a GS Midi device and MT-32ish device (or if you ran out of IRQs or patch-cords), a Roland Sound Canvas (SCC-1) card might be your best option. The GS sound is top-notch from this thing, and it features a MT-32 emulation mode that's switchable by playing it a Midi tune made up of control commands via batch-file. A lot of the folks here find the SCC-1's MT-32 mode inferior to the real thing... Yeah, I don't doubt it. Still, I think it sounds reasonably good enough to listen to, as a compromise at least.

Still finding a SCC-1 is hard anyway, so... *shruggs*. If you've got one, consider yourself lucky.

That goes for most, if not all, of this hardware IMHO.

**Don't forget to enjoy the sauce**

Reply 2 of 3, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The main reasons why I prefer modules over cards is the following:

You can use modules with multiple systems far more easily than using cards.
You can find modules far more easily than cards, even though they cost more on average.
ISA slots become fewer as computers become faster, so don't use more slots than you have to.
Some system cases will not accept full-length (LAPC-I, AWE32, Ultrasound) cards.
ISA sound cards are in a noisier electrical environment compared to modules.
You can reset modules easily by pushing a button, cards require sending a reset command through midi.
With a module you don't have to turn the whole computer on just to use a card.
Easier to record midi with modules than cards.

Sound Blasters Pro 2.0 and above tend to be fairly common, but Ultrasounds and Roland Midi Interfaces are hard to come by. But if you need the best sound from your games or sound for every game, each of these cards is an absolute must.

Reply 3 of 3, by jthieme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another disadvantage of using the SCC-1 to emulate a MT-32 from a gaming perspecitve is that it doesn't support the sysex commands that a lot of games use to create their own custom sounds on the MT32. But that being said, I still think the SCC-1 is a great GM card and MPU interface for a MT-32 or other sound module. I bought one brand new back in the day and it's been through Dos/Win3.x/win9x/ and now WinXP and still works great.

On the topic of MPU-401 interfaces, does anyone know of a source where you can purchase ISA (preferred) or PCI MPU-401 cards reasonable? I have a spare MT32 and would like to hook it up to another computer I have.