VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I just received a SCB-55 daughterboard, in it's original packaging with ALL disks/manuals! feels like I bought it new! all top-shape! 😁
I wonder though, if there is some kind of util to make it switch from GM to GS mode and vice-versa... like the one I have for the SCC-1... any info?
thanks! 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess you just have to send a Sysex.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
Hiya! […]
Show full quote

Hiya!

I just received a SCB-55 daughterboard, in it's original packaging with ALL disks/manuals! feels like I bought it new! all top-shape! 😁
I wonder though, if there is some kind of util to make it switch from GM to GS mode and vice-versa... like the one I have for the SCC-1... any info?
thanks! 😀

elianda wrote:

I guess you just have to send a Sysex.

You can use the SCC-1 utilities with the SCB-55, they work fine and are simple midi files, no sending of sysex strings is required.

Reply 3 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I actually have an .exe for the scc1... I found it here:
http://personal.inet.fi/peli/militarist/scc1-e.html
and it is called SCMode 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 6, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

which one?

The method / midi-files GH mentioned should work.

In detail you need those files: GS_Reset.mid (to reset the card without turnig the machine off) and mt32emul.mid (to shift to Mt32-mode). If you have all disks that came along with the SCB-55 (=SCD-15) you should find them somewhere under \GSMT32:

http://www.urr.ca/dosdrivers/Roland%20MPU401/MPUSETUP.pdf
(see last page, last paragraph).
Under DOS you can use a dos based midi-player (like playb.exe) , so you can create a batch-file to shift to mt32 mode, if a game needs it (i.e. Monkey Island).
Anyway I don't know when it should be necessary to shift fom GS to GM mode, as the GS mode should be downward compatible to GM. I only use those files to emulate a MT32.

Reply 6 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for the info!
I have the disks, but I thought they only had the roland composing progs... thanks!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website