VOGONS

First post, by gerpux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! Given there's DosBox support, how hard it would be emulating the IBM PS/1 Audio Card in PicoGUS (github.com/polpo/picogus)
It already has Tandy emulation. Currently it can emulate:
- Gravis Ultrasound (GUS) - the primary focus of PicoGUS, hence the name
- Sound Blaster 2.0 / AdLib (OPL2)
- MPU-401 (with intelligent mode) - outputs MIDI data on 3.5mm MIDI TRS connector
- Tandy 3-voice
- CMS/Game Blaster

Anybody tried? Or is interested?

Last edited by gerpux on 2024-04-15, 13:16. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 3 of 10, by gerpux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jal wrote on 2024-04-16, 10:13:

If Tandy is emulated, PS/1 should be easy to do. But since there's so little support for the PS/1, I'm not sure what the use would be.

Just nostalgia (and adding one more sound card to the supported list, the more the merrier).
With regards to usefulness an awesome addition to PicoGUS would be SB AWE 32/64 support.
Thanks jal

Reply 4 of 10, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if AWE 32/64 support is doable. Perhaps 32, but recall that the "64" was just 32 + the other 32 in the Windows driver, so for DOS games it's useless. I think the feature set of AWE 32 already exceeded that of the GUS, but it supports both wavetable and OPL3, and I don't think a RP2040 is capable enough to emulate both (it already struggles with OPL3 alone, I've read).

Reply 5 of 10, by gerpux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jal wrote on 2024-04-16, 15:43:

Not sure if AWE 32/64 support is doable. Perhaps 32, but recall that the "64" was just 32 + the other 32 in the Windows driver, so for DOS games it's useless. I think the feature set of AWE 32 already exceeded that of the GUS, but it supports both wavetable and OPL3, and I don't think a RP2040 is capable enough to emulate both (it already struggles with OPL3 alone, I've read).

Gotcha. And what do you think about emulating SB Pro and SB16? Should be doable I think

Reply 6 of 10, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, they're 16-bit cards, and the PicoGUS is 8-bit. Come to think of it, that would also prohibit proper AWE emulation. Not sure why the didn't opt for a 16-bit ISA card, perhaps it's the limit to the number of the RP2040's GPIO pins.

Reply 7 of 10, by gerpux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jal wrote on 2024-04-16, 15:50:

Well, they're 16-bit cards, and the PicoGUS is 8-bit. Come to think of it, that would also prohibit proper AWE emulation. Not sure why the didn't opt for a 16-bit ISA card, perhaps it's the limit to the number of the RP2040's GPIO pins.

That's right, it's an 8 bit ISA port but SB Pro for example I tested in such a port with decent results on the OPL functionality. I'm not sure about all the limitations of running an SB Pro (for example) in an 8 bit ISA port.

Reply 8 of 10, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As Wikipedia writes, "The Sound Blaster Pro cards are basically 8-bit ISA cards, they use only the lower 8 data bits of the ISA bus. While at first glance it appears to be a 16-bit ISA card, it does not have 'fingers' for data transfer on the higher "AT" portion of the bus connector. It uses the 16-bit extension to the ISA bus to provide the user with an additional choice for an IRQ (10) and DMA (0)m channel only found on the 16-bit portion of the edge connector."

So the SB Pro uses just 8 bits for communication with the host. It could only play 8-bit samples. That's different from the SB16 and onwards, that could play 16-bit samples.

Reply 9 of 10, by gerpux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jal wrote on 2024-04-17, 14:24:

As Wikipedia writes, "The Sound Blaster Pro cards are basically 8-bit ISA cards, they use only the lower 8 data bits of the ISA bus. While at first glance it appears to be a 16-bit ISA card, it does not have 'fingers' for data transfer on the higher "AT" portion of the bus connector. It uses the 16-bit extension to the ISA bus to provide the user with an additional choice for an IRQ (10) and DMA (0)m channel only found on the 16-bit portion of the edge connector."

So the SB Pro uses just 8 bits for communication with the host. It could only play 8-bit samples. That's different from the SB16 and onwards, that could play 16-bit samples.

Ok great info! Thx jal