VOGONS

First post, by UFO_WARVIPER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, since I am using methods of virtualization for Windows, I could see how this thread could appropriately fit here or some other forum categories on this site. So, if it is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

I am completely new to virtualization. If someone has any tips to help a newb like me, I'd be greatly obliged. So far I've Tried Windows 95 on DOSBox and Windows 98 on VMware Player. My Host Operating System is Fedora 8 (i386) 32 bit. The Machine I am using to virtualize is as follows:

Pentium 4 2.6 GHz
512 MB DDR RAM (I forgot the mem clock speeds)
MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4200
AC97 Onboard Sound
Onboard LAN (I think it's Realtek)

Windows 9x on top of DOSBox is not officially supported, so I am not expecting anyone to reply to this section at all.
Two days ago, my attempt to virtualize Windows 95 according to DOSFreak's Guide worked pretty well (Thanks for your hard work and incredibly awesome guide DOSFreak). I downoaded several different Trio64+ drivers including the ones on the guide's page, injected them into my img file with WinImage, and Installed them. I even tried the Windows SVGA drivers.

When I grew tired of messing around with that, I tried this time Puttying my copy of Windows 98 (instead of 95) ontop of this VMware Player I found yesterday. I followed the steps on this page to get it working on Fedora: http://fedorasolved.org/post-install-solution … mplayer-install. I then went to www.easyvmx.com and used Easy VMX Creator 2.0 to make my virtual machine. After I installed Windows 98, I tried fooling around with the SVGA drivers again. One thing that really bothers me is that this time I didn't have sound. I don't know what sound and video cards VMware Player emulates. I also do not know what utility I can use to inject drivers into vmdk files.

Reply 1 of 4, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

What do you want to use the virtual machines for?
VirtualBox is a nice addition to the ones mentioned, it's open source,
uses Qemu for the cpl0 parts, and seems to be quite actively developed.

Reply 2 of 4, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows in VMWare wouldn't be a problem, but VMWare Player may not be your choice. The problem is that VMWare Server or Workstation have an option to install VMWare Tools, which enable SVGA and some other features.

Once VMWare tools are installed, the machine will run in SVGA even in VMWare Player. By the way, VMWare Server is free (i.e.: they don't charge you), so you can use it instead VMWare Player.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 4, by UFO_WARVIPER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are several reasons I need virtualization. One is the limit of 4 Primary Partitions on an IDE hard drive. I could try Logical volumes, but I don't know how to manipulate them with GParted or how to install multiple OS's into them. I have tried WINE, but there are some programs that almost, but don't quite work all the way.

I'm basically trying to get some of mine and my dad's old favorite Windows 95 games (Red Alert, Total Annihilation if I'm lucky) in addition to trying to get the SONAR Music/Audio Editor up for my dad. My dad has been forced to tie up a whole computer for the purpose of his music editing which he does for leisure. He would prefer not to tie up that computer and perhaps use it as a file server or perhaps an online Day of Defeat 1.3 server instead.

If possible, it would be cool if he could grab music projects/audio files from a virtual Hard Drive with Windows, bring them over to his Linux Partition to manipulate them with some other utility that the Windows utility can't do, and bring the files back over to the Virtual Windows Partition to edit them further to use features that the Linux audio utilities don't have.

Thanks Zup for the suggestion of VMware Server. I'll give that a try. From my first impressions, it seems that DOSBox is significantly faster at emulating a Virtual Machine than the VMware. Maybe its because I don't have all the features enabled that the VMware server has. How fast is that other utility mentioned by WD? I've heard BOCHS is horribly slow.

Reply 4 of 4, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VirtualBox has a couple of things to do before it catches up with vmware. First, I've found vmware more compatible, and second, VB lacks an image mounting tool for their proprietary format that they tried to push. They added minimal support for vmware images so vmware images and mounting tool can be used or the annoying inconvenient hack method of trying to guess the VB image offset to use with imdisk. Since the most convenient thing to do is to install vmware to get their mounting tool and vmware being more compatible, you logically cut to the chase and use vmware.