User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have tested three awe32 cards:

CT2760 (non-PnP)
CT3980 (PnP)
CT3990 (PnP)

For the two PnP models, despite hours of testing, I have never managed to get either of them to work correctly in the (free downloable demo) "Shadow Warrior" sound setup program. The part that will not work correctly is the AWE32 music testing section. When you use this sound setup program to test the AWE32 music, the music output has missing notes.

Please can someone else test this just to make sure it is nothing that I am doing wrong? Thank you very much.

Please note that this problem doesn't seem to occur if you use a non-PnP model, such as the CT2760.

Also, one other thing that I noticed was the CT3980 seemed to sound better than the CT3990. It was as if the bass sounded richer/deeper on the CT3980 than it did on the CT3990.

Best regards, Robert.

Reply 1 of 4, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Important addendum:

Very sorry, I really meant to have included this extra information -

The problem stated in my original post above only occurs inside a Windows 9x "DOS Command Box".

(If you quit to "real DOS", everything works as it should do.)

Thank you. (I hope someone can test this please.)

Reply 2 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well another thing is that shadow warriors' full version contains no MIDI audio - only cd, so their midi code was probably broken in the demo. No big deal.

I have a CT-3600 Awe32 (OMG BUT ITS SOUND BLASTER 32) but I can't put it in anything since my comp's isa slot is next to the cpu which has a fan etc.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 4, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've done the same test but this time using an AWE64, and I get the same problem as I mentioned in my OP (and subsequent follow-up).

It's interesting that Vogons user "leileilol" mentioned that this game was commercially released without the midi music but with CD music instead. I wonder if Duke Nukem was also the same. If so, I wonder if 3DRealms realised their music code was broken in regards to PnP Creative cards inside a Win9x "dos box", and decided to scrap the midi music for CD music instead?