VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex/

I found a reference to this while searching for old web browsers. It supposedly lets you run Win2k/XP apps under WIN98/ME. I thought it might be useful so I brought it back here for you all to try.

Reply 2 of 11, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have it on my 98SE box, but I really only use it as a quick-and-easy fix for bypassing artificially-imposed incompatibilities... i.e., software that would otherwise run fine if it weren't for a version check in the installer or something.

With regards to running software that is actually incompatible with Win9x, I see it as more of a last resort, for cases where no Win9x-compatible programs exist with the functionality you need. And honestly, those cases are few and far between... generally, if there's something I need to do that no Win9x programs can do, it's something that wouldn't work too well on a Win98-era machine anyway. The trouble I've found is, while KernelEX will allow you to run programs that otherwise wouldn't run, more often than not the programs still won't work 100%, and it makes for some pretty frustrating glitches.

Reply 3 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It works really well. I can post a list of apps I've tested it with if interested (last week I went through and tested all the ones I use)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

It works really well. I can post a list of apps I've tested it with if interested (last week I went through and tested all the ones I use)

Which web browsers have you tried? Is FF3 or IE7 usable?

Reply 5 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FireFox 3.5.19 works great
List of Web Browsers For All Operating Systems

Also Opera 11.10
Topic 12283

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 11, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which web browsers have you tried? Is FF3 or IE7 usable?

There's no way to use IE7 at all in 98SE/ME. Firefox mostly works, but I've run into some bugs... the biggest one being that trying to print a web page will crash FF and usually take the whole machine with it.

Reply 8 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Opera rocks! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 11, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been using Kernelex for years. Probably the most important advice I would give to a newbie is this (and it might sound sarcastic but it is not, I really like KernelEx as it allows one to run modern browsers and multimedia apps (MPC, VLC etc))
:
if something that is supposed to run WITHOUT Kernelex won't run on your computer, do not forget to DISABLE KernelEx in the exe's compatibility tab.
This is especially true for early Win95/98 games...

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."