VOGONS

First post, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So round two of my attempts to get a slotket rocket up and running has gone down in flames.

Round 1 was an Intel Se440BX-2 board with a Poweleap PL-IP3 T and a 1.4ghz Celeron. At least the board and the adapter+cpu were free (ish). When that didn't work, I bought a second powerleap adapter with a 1.4ghz PIII-S just in case my slotket was bad. No dice running it at even 1ghz 🙁

Round 2 was a Gigabyte 6vx-4x. It's a via apollo pro 133A based board and supported jumpers for 14x and 10.5x multipliers. It didn't work with either the Celeron or the PIII-S. I also snagged a free 1.26 ghz PIII-S, which also did not work. One time, I set the multi to 14x and the PIII-S 1.4ghz came up working, but then it stopped working shortly thereafter when I installed the PCI cards. It never worked again.

Any suggestions? I'm tapped out here. Either this has to work or it won't.

Reply 1 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tested the CPU's and adapters separately?
Time to do some bench-testing I'd say 😉

And be sure your PSU is up to the task, though with a Virge or something similar, a 250W quality PSU should be enough to get the bugger booting up stable.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 8, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Have you tested the CPU's and adapters separately?
Time to do some bench-testing I'd say 😉

And be sure your PSU is up to the task, though with a Virge or something similar, a 250W quality PSU should be enough to get the bugger booting up stable.

PSU is a 400W number (no name), but delivers 16A on the 12V rail. It should be plenty. I've swapped CPU's between the adapters but I don't have a tualatin board to test the chips themselves.

I also just tracked down a bios for the SE440BX that supposedly will allow me to make this work. That will be hot if so. I'll know tomorrow morning if it's successful or not. So it's now looking up again 😀.

Reply 4 of 8, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No dice on the bios revert on the SE440BX-2. It won't let me flash it 🙁

Also, I picked up a P3V4X, which I think I killed with a short. The weird thing is it sort of worked before the short, at least with a 1.4ghz celly (I think, didn't get to windows 98 to check it). Moving to a 1.4ghz PIII and it succumbed to the short I think.

There's a reason Powerleap is out of business. I think I've learned that the hard way here.

Reply 5 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:

Also, I picked up a P3V4X, which I think I killed with a short. The weird thing is it sort of worked before the short, at least with a 1.4ghz celly (I think, didn't get to windows 98 to check it). Moving to a 1.4ghz PIII and it succumbed to the short I think.

There's a reason Powerleap is out of business. I think I've learned that the hard way here.

I once tried installing one of my Powerleap adapters into an IBM Aptiva tower I had laying around and it wasn't so successful, either. It wasn't seeing the P-III 1400 at it's correct speed. It was only seeing it at something like 450 or 466mhz. I figured out that the motherboard in the Aptiva only supports 100mhz bus and that the only 100mhz bus socket 3 CPU that would work would be the Celeron 1400, so I bought a couple of those but that was as far as my slocket experiments went. So I have two Powerleap adapters with P-III 1400-S chips in them, two loose Celly 1400's, and the Aptiva, or my Dell GX1's I can try to use them in. The Dell's need a special power cable that you can hardly find anymore, but you can convert the Dell to use a standard ATX using a special wiring harness and then you don't need the special Powerleap power cable anymore which is what I think I am going to try next.

Reply 6 of 8, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
SavantStrike wrote:

I once tried installing one of my Powerleap adapters into an IBM Aptiva tower I had laying around and it wasn't so successful, either. It wasn't seeing the P-III 1400 at it's correct speed. It was only seeing it at something like 450 or 466mhz. I figured out that the motherboard in the Aptiva only supports 100mhz bus and that the only 100mhz bus socket 3 CPU that would work would be the Celeron 1400, so I bought a couple of those but that was as far as my slocket experiments went. So I have two Powerleap adapters with P-III 1400-S chips in them, two loose Celly 1400's, and the Aptiva, or my Dell GX1's I can try to use them in. The Dell's need a special power cable that you can hardly find anymore, but you can convert the Dell to use a standard ATX using a special wiring harness and then you don't need the special Powerleap power cable anymore which is what I think I am going to try next.

Also, IIRC, the Dells had a special BIOS available.

The SE440BX-2 should work, but only with an older bios (it appears Intel modified the newer bioses to specifically fail with a Tualatin on a slotket). I'm not having much luck trying to go back to an old bios. Maybe they made it so that wouldn't work either, heh.

I've had more problems trying to make any of this work than I think I've ever had with hardware before. Usually it can take a long time and a lot of patience with non PnP stuff, but it's at least possible. Here, I keep hitting stupid road blocks that make it impossible.

Reply 7 of 8, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And Yay!

P3V4X isn't dead. It had a short. Man that board is fussy. Still no dice with the PIII-S though (which is bad as I want the PIII-S not the Celly). At this point I'll settle for getting the Celly working and verifying that the board isn't screwing things up with CPUID. The board has an 8x multiplier limit in the BIOS, but I think it ignores that nonsense. I'll know more tomorrow hopefully.

Reply 8 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:

And Yay!

P3V4X isn't dead. It had a short. Man that board is fussy. Still no dice with the PIII-S though (which is bad as I want the PIII-S not the Celly). At this point I'll settle for getting the Celly working and verifying that the board isn't screwing things up with CPUID. The board has an 8x multiplier limit in the BIOS, but I think it ignores that nonsense. I'll know more tomorrow hopefully.

That is good news 😉

I never knew Powerleap had such problems with their hardware, I always kinda regarded them higher. I thought they went out of business because the upgrade market they specialized in was disappearing.

The fact that the P3-S doesn't work but the Tualeron does either means the P3-S is dead (though easy to check by testing it in another board) or it may be some problem with the board not being able to correctly identify it?
The max 8x multi should indeed not pose a problem, at least not if you get your processor to work 😉

What you could try: If it's possible to set your board to manual settings, perhaps you could get it to work by setting the BIOS first with the Tualeron, then swapping CPU's. Try the P3-S first underclocked to 100Mhz FSB as I think it slightly increases your chance to at the very least get the board to post. If it does, you can continue from there 😉

If yuu keep having troubles with the board, then I'd suggest first trying to "test" the functionality of the board with a standard Slot 1 CPU. This will help you to tell if the problem definitely is with the CPU+Adapter, and not with the board itself.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!