VOGONS

First post, by blu3z3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After digging through the net for several hours trying to get these two cards to play nicely on a 486 socket 1 board, I finally got them going!

I had to register just to send out a major THANK YOU to everyone for contributing to these forums. It was just about the only place on the net that had any real feedback on something as obscure as the CT1920. 🤣

I'm currently saving up for a Roland Sound Canvas, but I can definitely make due with the awe32 midi for now.

Once again, thank you all for providing practically mountains of information and feedback on this website! I will definitely be floating around on here.

Reply 1 of 3, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If one knows how it's done it is quite easy: You will just need the CTCM (Version 4.x and younger) program which initializes both cards and automatically sets the BLASTER variable. To let the CT1920 card play midi though the EMU-synth (in DOS), you have to define the path of the installation directory of the card (e.g. C:\CTSND\) in the autoexec.bat. After that, the Creative Midiplayer (play.exe) works without any flaw.

The special versions of AWEUTIL.EXE and AWEDIAG.EXE are not needed to get the card running.

Enjoy the card, I like it very much, it is just awesome for all the soundfonts in Windows.

Cheers
Fabian

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 2 of 3, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was just about the only place on the net that had any real feedback on something as obscure as the CT1920

Well, the real heavy weight discussions were going on over queststudios forums

http://www.queststudios.com/smf/

The main advantages with the Goldfinch are having the full 32 voices and not having the daughterboard bug. The cons are not having effects for the SB16 OPL3 synth and the need for another slot.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 3 of 3, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also wanted to say that I've learned lots about old hardware (and quite a bit about new too!) since I discovered this forum and I'm very grateful for all the users who contribute here.