VOGONS

First post, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Gravis Gamepad Pro (Gameport version) that I am using with Windows 98SE. I am experiencing a very annoying issue with it.

My System is Win98SE with a PIII 600Mhz, 256MB ram, Voodoo 5500, SB Live 5.1 sound.

The only way I can get the damn controller to work is if I install the software from the Gravis Experience CD, however with the software installed, I get a very noticeable drop in performance in games. It is not smooth, as soon as I uninstall the software and use the keyboard it's fine, smooth as a baby's bum!

I have tried simply using the standard drivers built into Windows with no joy, I am unable to use certain buttons when I do that.

At the moment I am using the keyboard to play games, but has anyone else experienced this paranormal phenomenon?

Last edited by manic232 on 2013-05-27, 20:31. Edited 1 time in total.

My System: SuperMicro P6SBA Motherboard, Win98SE, PIII 600Mhz, 256MB Ram, Voodoo 5 5500, SB AWE 64 Gold Sound Card, Roland LAPC-I

Reply 1 of 10, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, that sounds like the exact opposite of the problem I had a few days ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_adeBKPH1Q

Probably completely unrelated, but an odd coincidence anyway.

Reply 2 of 10, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, yes that is a coincidence and the weirdest thing I ever saw! you know the more i learn about computers the less I understand them! Maybe the developer of that Lotus game developed it with a game port device attached and never tested it with one not connected.

I resolved my issue (sort of) I found one of those PS2 joystick USB adaptors at the back of my drawer and to my surprise it works fine with Windows 98 without and additional drivers, so I'm happy. I'd still like to know why the Gravis drivers affect game speeds though.

My System: SuperMicro P6SBA Motherboard, Win98SE, PIII 600Mhz, 256MB Ram, Voodoo 5 5500, SB AWE 64 Gold Sound Card, Roland LAPC-I

Reply 3 of 10, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apparently the slowdown tools I used caused that, along with a 'bug' in the game that keeps checking the gameport even if there's nothing connected. See here:
Gameport devices changing PC speed?

Which version of the Xperience drivers were you using by the way? I recall the older versions being less resource intensive than the newer ones. But then it's been years since I last used these drivers (and win9x).
I uploaded my disc (v2.1) to VogonsDrivers last week, maybe you could try that.
Also, does the GrIP mode work with the USB adapter?

Reply 4 of 10, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah ha, was it mo slo by any chance?

I am using version 2.1 as well, the CD ISO.

I didn't explain myself very well, im not using the Gravis with the USB adaptor, but a Playstation 2 Dual shock controller, works just fine in Windows 98 to my surprise. To be honest I think I will just use that, works really well and has the bonus of analog control for games that support it. I will keep the Gravis for pure DOS gaming.

Reply 5 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Huh. I'd sooner expect it to be a slowdown related to the Sound Blaster Live (involving its gameport). I had no Gravis Gamepad Pro issues when I used to use it on a much, MUCH slower computer with an AWE64, and I also used the Xperience CD drivers.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 10, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can assure you it's nothing to do with the SB Live, as soon as I uninstall the Gravis drivers, everything is fine, so it has to be that.

Reply 7 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As has been asked already, when you were experiencing your problems, were you using the Gravis Gamepad Pro in GrIP mode, or regular mode? There should be a switch on the back.

GrIP mode uses an entirely different method of signalling controller inputs than what Windows or most older DOS games normally expect.

Reply 8 of 10, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was using GRIP mode with the drives installed, I also tried it on the other two modes, but the controller was not recognised. With the drivers uninstalled I was kind of able to use the other modes, but could not select some buttons in games.

Reply 9 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you not wondered what those "other two modes" are..?

If I'm not mistaken, one of them is the "two-controller" mode. This allows two controllers to be plugged in at the same time. It works by disabling two of the buttons.

Reply 10 of 10, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could try a newer version of the Xperience drivers, maybe the older version was not so good after all. I really can't remember, and I can't try either since I don't have win9x.

But of course, a PS2 controller with analog controls is much better than the GP Pro 😀