VOGONS

How to emulate Windows 95 properly?

Topic actions

First post, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Tried to emulate Windows 95 in VirtualBox, but it was too slow for some games I tried to play.
Are there any better ways, except building an old PC?

Reply 1 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which games do you want to play?

Virtualbox doesn't really support Win9x. There is no video driver for these OSs and so video performance is very poor. Alternative is running Windows XP in VirtualBox and seeing if your old Win95 game works in XP.

Reply 2 of 21, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wine (but it is a Linux program). Wine give good Windows compatibility, and you won't have problems running it on recent hardware.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 21, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
swaaye wrote:

Which games do you want to play?

Virtualbox doesn't really support Win9x. There is no video driver for these OSs and so video performance is very poor. Alternative is running Windows XP in VirtualBox and seeing if your old Win95 game works in XP.

Yeah I know. I had to use an unofficial fix, something called Nucleus or something. It emulated SVGA 2.0 or something like that.
I mostly like to play Battle Beast and Gunman Chronicles. Emulating XP sounds like a better idea yeah.

Reply 4 of 21, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCem has been kicking all sorts of butt, you should try that one.
MESS has also come a long way.
In theory you can also do it on DOSBox, but it is unsupported.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 21, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Sorry for double post. But I borrowed my moms XP CD today and emulated the OS through VirtualBox. It ran as slow as Windows 95. However though, I had working drivers for VGA and Network.
Why is VirtualBox so slow? No matter how much memory I allocate to the Guest OS it still lags.

At first glance PCem appeared really neat. Then I lost track completely when I tried to emulate an 386.

Reply 9 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VirtualBox will be a sluggishly slow speed if you don't have any CPU virtualization extensions.

personally I use VPC2007 for Win98SE (compiling stuff and curiously running EXES with an undo disk) and PCem for Windows95 (for games - Tseng ET4000AX driver is stable enough with dosboxes despite not natively supporting VESA).

VirtualBox sucks for 9x, but is great for emulating Windows XP guests though 😀

Right now the only emulators I know of that can run Win95 and have 3d acceleration are DOSBox-X/Yhkwong with 3dfx emulation (UNSUPPORTED BY THE WAY, EXPECT TRIAL AND ERROR AND PROBLEM SOLVING) and PCem with S3 ViRGE emulation.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 21, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This may get gunman working on win7 x64 (pretty sure it worked when I only had 4gb ram)
http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=49819
or maybe amd ramdisk to limit memory

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 13 of 21, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

How do I get full DirectX support for XP in VirtualBox? I tried to download the official DX install and ran it, but my games that needs DX won't run at all.
I also tried to install the experimentall D3D thing that comes with guest addon iso in VirtualBox, but to no avail.

Reply 14 of 21, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rod Primitive wrote:

How do I get full DirectX support for XP in VirtualBox? I tried to download the official DX install and ran it, but my games that needs DX won't run at all.
I also tried to install the experimentall D3D thing that comes with guest addon iso in VirtualBox, but to no avail.

- Go to your virtual machine options. Go to video and check enable 3D acceleration. Also, give a fair amount of VRAM to your VM (64 mb would be enough).
- Start your VM, but press F5 to start windows on safe mode.
- Install the guest additions on your VM enabling D3D. Note that you won't be able to install D3D support if Windows has started normally.

Once you've installed 3D support, note that it is not a "full" D3D support. It only supports DirectX 9 and OpenGL, so earlier games won't work as intended. If you start dxdiag and try to pass the video tests, only the third test will work. The first and second tests use older DirectX, so they will fail.

There were a D3D to OpenGL wrapper that maybe would make older games work, but I don't know if it really works.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 15 of 21, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Done all that. So you mean I'm screwed on the older games part then? Fuck...
I can't even play Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth. And if I recall, that game came out for Xbox first, so it has to be DX 9.

EDIT: Sorry no, DCoTE is DX 8.1...

Reply 16 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You shouldn't even need to use a VM for these OpenGL and Direct3D games. They should work on modern Windows. Call of Cthulhu is sold on Steam and GOG so I'm sure it works.

Also, instead of messing with this half-baked D3D-in-a-VM stuff, you could dual boot real XP if you must.

Reply 17 of 21, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
swaaye wrote:

You shouldn't even need to use a VM for these OpenGL and Direct3D games. They should work on modern Windows. Call of Cthulhu is sold on Steam and GOG so I'm sure it works.

Also, instead of messing with this half-baked D3D-in-a-VM stuff, you could dual boot real XP if you must.

Call of Cthulhu is not sold on GOG and it does NOT run well on OS'es after XP. I have both the retail and Steam version and they both CTD in Windows 7 and 8/8.1

Reply 18 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rod Primitive wrote:

Call of Cthulhu is not sold on GOG and it does NOT run well on OS'es after XP. I have both the retail and Steam version and they both CTD in Windows 7 and 8/8.1

Oops it looks like I mistook a forum thread on gog.com for a store page. From the Steam forum it sounds like there are people playing it on 7 and 8.

By the way, you haven't bothered to tell us what hardware you are using.