VOGONS

Fault in MS-DOS Extender

Topic actions

First post, by SnakeHaveYou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all, i'm trying to install Windows 98SE in PCem 10.1 experimental, (until i can build my own old system), but everytime, i got this error:

Fault in MS-DOS Extender

Related to this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/87239

The error is triggered when the GUI installer start copying the files (After you select C:\Windows as the install location)

My specs are:

A Intel Core i7-3820, with all the virtualization technologies enabled or disabled, on Windows 10 Pro x64..

On PCem i've tried with some combinations:

- Award 430VX PCI and Intel Pentium MMX 233
- Award 440FX PCI and Intel Pentium Overdrive 333 or Deschutes Pentium II D 400 or 500
- 32MB, 256MB and 512MB RAM
- 4GB HDD (S 63, H 16 or 15, C 8192), 8GB. LBA or Normal mode on BIOS.

I've tried to format the HDD with MS DOS 6.22, but can't get more than 500 MB of total disk space..

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't use PCem-X.

I had no problem installing Win98SE on the proper PCem.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 7, by SnakeHaveYou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Don't use PCem-X.

But is there any way to make PCem detect the 440FX ROM?

Reply 4 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCem doesn't have a 440FX because there is no emulation of any CPU supported by the 440 chipsets and it's not going to pretend doing so.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 7, by SnakeHaveYou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it does on PCem Experimental and PCem-X.. I finished installing Windows 98SE on a PCem-X build, and then booting that HDD image on PCem Experimental and it worked.

Reply 6 of 7, by Battler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Don't use PCem-X.

He's talking about my current PCem-Experimental branch, not the old PCem-X.
I re-added the 440FX and Pentium Pro/Pentium II emulation, but this time they use your work as the base. That, and I do contribute my changes to the mainline now, though I put several on hold until after v11 is release (but you can still observe their preliminary versions on the PCem forum).
Also my branch is clearly labeled Experimental, which hints it might contain unfinished changes and therefore bugs the mainline does not have.

- SnakeHaveYou: I have a fix already for that, it was my mistake. I added present bit checking for reads/writes within a segment, but forgot to change one small in x86seg.c and that was causing problems. The next compile I release is going to have this fixed.

Reply 7 of 7, by SnakeHaveYou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Battler wrote:
He's talking about my current PCem-Experimental branch, not the old PCem-X. I re-added the 440FX and Pentium Pro/Pentium II emul […]
Show full quote
leileilol wrote:

Don't use PCem-X.

He's talking about my current PCem-Experimental branch, not the old PCem-X.
I re-added the 440FX and Pentium Pro/Pentium II emulation, but this time they use your work as the base. That, and I do contribute my changes to the mainline now, though I put several on hold until after v11 is release (but you can still observe their preliminary versions on the PCem forum).
Also my branch is clearly labeled Experimental, which hints it might contain unfinished changes and therefore bugs the mainline does not have.

- SnakeHaveYou: I have a fix already for that, it was my mistake. I added present bit checking for reads/writes within a segment, but forgot to change one small in x86seg.c and that was causing problems. The next compile I release is going to have this fixed.

Thanks! The only way was installing with PCem-X, and after the reboot, boot into Windows or into the 2nd part of the installation (where it installs the drivers) with PCem Experiemntal, but i was getting a BSOD about somethin like "VxD VMCPD(01)+00000213"..

No problem man! Thanks for your contributions and builds!! 😀