VOGONS

First post, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The PC is a HP Vectra VLi 8 MT/600. I understand that HP provides tech support, but i simply do NOT have time or money for that. Now, there is supposed to be a set of keys attached on the back of computer, but it appears that I've either misplaced or lost them!!The lock is quite sturdy the only thing I can think of is to try and "pick" the lock, but I hardly have a clue what to use in order to pick it. Of course, I am looking for a way to open it WITHOUT having to seriously damage the case itself. I doubt a locksmith has the chops for this matter nor can I probably afford one so I'd be most grateful for any help/suggestions.

Reply 1 of 10, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually a locksmith should be able to open it in just a few seconds; however I wouldn't have a clue how much they charge. You also might be able to find a spare key on eBay; I think the HP keys were all the same.

Reply 2 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One word: Dremel 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 10, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really should give a locksmith a shot at it, as for searching eBay that became pretty much pointless as I typed in "HP Keys", "HP Key", and all that showed up were stupid keyboards. I seriously doubt there's anything there that could help me. I haven't a clue whether the keys on all HPs were the same how can I know this?

Snover wrote:

One word: Dremel 😀

One word: Expensive 😉 What product of theirs, in particular, do you have in mind?

Reply 4 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Expensive? Hardly. A cordless 2-speed dremel I found as low as $10 used from froogle, I saw a new one for $37.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I obsconded with a key from an HP Vectra that was brought into the shop for repair. If you want it, let me know.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 10, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

I obsconded with a key from an HP Vectra that was brought into the shop for repair. If you want it, let me know.

Obsconded? Maybe you mean absconded? Anywho, I definitely need an HP Vectra key, so, if you got one I would appreciate it if you could send it to me. As I have not the time or patience to search through Dremel's numerous products or most anyone else's, for that matter. I am not too "tool savvy" as one would say, and am quite the tight-wad, as well.

Reply 7 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, perhaps I did. Or perhaps I MADE UP A NEW WORD JUST TO CONFUSE YOU?!!? HAH!?!?

Anyway, PM with your address.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 10, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just one question first, when I send a PM to you that means it goes DIRECTLY to you in some way/form be it to your e-mail or whatever, correct? As you may be aware, I feel unsafe sending my address across the net. So, unless I am positive that when I PM my address it will go SOLELY to you I can't do anything.

Reply 9 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah it shows up under that "Messages" link at the top of the screen, but only for whomever you address the private message to.

Reply 10 of 10, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I gotcha, thanks.