VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Also, when you had your CT3980 + GUS Classic combo working, did you by any chance remember if you could get Adlib or SB music working? Because that is the only aspect of this hardware combo that appeared not to work. Could it just be possible that you never knew that this specific musical aspect of this hardware combo was defective? Just a thought.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, because I've encountered the very same problem several times 😉

The important part is to specify the AdLib port in CTPNP.CFG:

[SB16]
Port2=388

If this line is not included, the AWE32 won't listen to programs trying to access the OPL2 via port 388h instead of 220h.

[Edit:] Forgot to mention that even when you get the AWE32 to work on both ports for OPL2, the detection routines of some games still won't detect the chip correctly (maybe Shadow Warrior is one of these games). I'm afraid there is nothing you can do in this case except patching the game or removing the GUS.

retro games 100 wrote:

Please note that I manged to obtain my "lost/stolen" IRQ back from the onboard IDE Controller by setting the BIOS field called "Plug and Play OS Aware" to Yes. If this BIOS field was set to No however, BIOS would not use the "lost" IRQ for any purposes, but Windows informed me that it was freely available. Thus, I believe, this "lost" IRQ was placed in to "no man's land".

This works perfectly for DOS, but for some reason the IDE controller still shows up in the Windows device manager and has to be manually deactivated there. No big deal, but somewhat annoying.