VOGONS

cdrom speed

Topic actions

First post, by thegonzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello everybody!

yes i am a noob when it comes to dosbox so if this has been asked before, i apologiza in advance.

anyways im trying to run an old game and i get the installer to run then it runs gives me an error that says it required a cd speed of300kbps when im quite sure my drive has quite more speed than that, it doesnt say i dont have a fast enough cd it just says error

so any fixes to this problem?, suggestions, links to old posts?, anything will come in handy

thats u in advance, cos ive been searching and i know u r the pros!

oh ill try to put up a screen shot of the error hope u can see it

Attachments

• error.JPG
    Filename
    error.JPG
    File size
    84.31 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    this as u can hopefully see is the error i get
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thegonzo wrote:
hello everybody! […]
Show full quote

hello everybody!

yes i am a noob when it comes to dosbox so if this has been asked before, i apologiza in advance.

anyways im trying to run an old game and i get the installer to run then it runs gives me an error that says it required a cd speed of300kbps when im quite sure my drive has quite more speed than that, it doesnt say i dont have a fast enough cd it just says error

so any fixes to this problem?, suggestions, links to old posts?, anything will come in handy

thats u in advance, cos ive been searching and i know u r the pros!

oh ill try to put up a screen shot of the error hope u can see it

First of all, running DOSBOX at 3000 cycles for a game that was made for a Pentium ???? Get that up to 30000 at the very least!!! And use Dynamic mode! And use DOS32A extender! Go to the big Final Unity topic for more info, but do all these things first and THEN try to install it - the low cycles may be why it won't read your CD correctly.

Reply 2 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try making an ISO or BIN/CUE (if several tracks) image from the CD and run it from a virtual drive.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that there was a patch for the installer that addresses this. Search the forum.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 5, by thegonzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey thanx for the reply, i cranked it up to 30000 cycles but could u give me the low down on how to enable the dynamic mode and the DOS32A extenders, there seems to b no info bout that in the dosbox readme file...

yea i know, i dont know squat

Reply 5 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know if it's related, but Fade to Black also sees CD's mounted in DOSBox as single-speed. I had mounted an actual CD directly in DOSBox. Fortunately F2B has a poorly-documented feature to override the speed detection.