Rank Member
Rank

I just won this turd for $14.61 shipped! 😳

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … item=8785772664
Specs:
Brand: Packard Bell "Multimedia R515"
Processor Type: Intel Pentium MMX
Processor Speed: 233 MHz
Memory (RAM): 256 MB (I think it only supports 128, so he might be wrong)
Hard Drive Capacity: 6 GB
Operating System: Linux
Primary Drive: CD-ROM
Bundled Items: Keyboard, Modem, Mouse, Network Card
Condition: Used

Tried to do some searching around for the manual and what not.. and good lord, I can't find anything!!! I am starting to pick up on the fact that the Packard Bells were total turds back in the day w/ limited upgradablity.

Guess I'll just have to tear into it once it arrives. Hopefully it won't suck.. but for less than $15... who cares eh? 😁

I've got Win 3.1, Win 98 SE, and MS-DOS 6.2 ready to install.. will probably ahve to bite the bullet and go for Win 3.11 for the networking, and MS-DOS 6.22 just for kicks.

I've got an old 19inch CRT laying around, for the full vintage affect I should probably try to find a 14 or 15inch CRT but eh.. I'll try to live with watching Lego Blocks on the 19 😁

Last edited by Mike 01Hawk on 2006-04-27, 18:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome to the forum!

This doesn't look too bad for a vintage DOS machine. The biggest drawback seems to be the peculiar case design - apparently the mainboard is mounted horizontally into the base section of the case. The "Multimedia R515" came in various hardware configurations, so you'll have to find out the components yourself.

Reply 2 of 2, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah... I kinda just impulse bid on it since it was dirt cheap instead of the other P233 MMX systems that were going for like $40+ shipped.

I was hopping that the bottom flair part was just cosmetic, but eh.. guess not.. 🤣... found this pic after I won the bid:
PackardBellBack.JPG

Yeah, wtf is up w/ that priority layout BS??? Almost as bad as the PC Brand desktop I had back in HS that had the 'pull out' CPU cartridge 🙁

I found Ray's mecca site dedicated to Packard Bells... which has been helpful.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/

Can't wait for my paper weight to come in.