VOGONS

First post, by Ihmemies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

dosbox is too slow for my purposes. I need some kind of acceleration, preferrably native x86 support since I have x86 processor and I want to run x86 software. I tried vmware, installed ms-dos 6.22 with all the drivers and whistles and then noticed: "No VMware Tools package exists for DOS or Windows 3.1x guest operating systems; therefore, Windows 3.1x is limited to VGA mode graphics and you must always use the Ctrl-Alt key combination to release the mouse from a DOS or Windows 3.1x virtual machine."

Yeah right. No vesa modes? That's it.

Any other virtualization softwares which support dos and are faster than dosbox?

Reply 1 of 2, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's QEmu, which has a virtualisation "accelerator" module, which they claim is very fast. In my experience, it isn't necessarily faster than DosBox w/ Dynamic core or QEmu without the module, but I only tested it with a couple of games. Someone said it seems to vary a lot from application to application, sometimes being very fast, sometimes not.

There's also DosEmu which I've heard is fast, but it's only for Linux, and I have no idea if it can run Win 3.x.

Reply 2 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The closest your going to get that even comes close to DosBox's compatibility is Microsoft Virtual PC.....and DosBox is so far past that as far as compatibility for DOS games go that it's scary.

Also if your running Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003 have you tried running the games in Windows? NTVDM is usually pretty compatible except for sound quality.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline