VOGONS

First post, by WIN-Jiggi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I just wrote a very lengthy thread about legacy sound cards and was introduced to the Ensoniq line of old ISA cards... Specifically the Soundscape series.

I grabbed a couple of S-2000's off ebay and they seem to be working in a way.. but I don't think I'm configuring them right, and the software/driver utilities I'm using isn't really helping me!

I tried installing the software/drivers with the Ensoniq Soundscape software on my Windows 95 machine; it loads and asks me to reboot and I do that, but then there's no sound device!

The Sound card including the SB 16 Emulation is listed on my device manager. But I can't adjust the volume controls, no sound options or nothing, it doesn't see no audio device!

Don't worry, I got the volume controller installed with 95 from previous installation of other sound cards and it's all good in that area. I did try different drivers for the Ensoniq by grabbing some already uncompressed files from the driverguide and they worked with WAVS, and CD Audio, but I couldn't get any MIDI device working for some reason, nor did the SB 16 Emulation work.

Just wondering if anyone has a set of drivers I could use, or if someone knows what I'm doing wrong here(Although the setup should work!).

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

WIN-Jiggi

Reply 1 of 3, by WIN-Jiggi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think the cards are defective. They were tested on a WinXP system with an auto-installation before they were shipped; I tested them on WinXP and nothing. These cards are defective! (No wonder why the drivers didn't work).

They were sent in non anti-static bubblewrap anyway, so go figure.

Reply 2 of 3, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you happen to check the Windows 95 Device Manager? There may be a resource conflict that needs to be addressed.

Edit: On second read, it looks like you did check the device manager. Still, double-check your resource settings for the card.

Reply 3 of 3, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think Soundscape will work in XP. Or any NT operating system. The drivers don't really exist. You need to stick with DOS or 9x.

In 9x you usually need to go into the Soundscape's properties and match up the IO address and MIDI address with what the card jumpers are set to. 534 and 330 (MIDI) are the defaults for the board. The IRQs and DMA can be whatever as long as they aren't conflicting.

These boards aren't PnP so Windows doesn't see their resources on its own usually. THe driver install tries to guess somehow but it usually gets it wrong.

I'd think the cards are dead only if nothing gets found on driver install at all. I have a dead Elite here that does that. Nothing I do has ever gotten that card to register at all. Good thing I found a replacement on eBay!