VOGONS

First post, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😳

WOW! I thought maaaybe $130 or so... (I wussed out at $70 🙁 )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=103000418660

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 1 of 12, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, it was new old stock and complete, but it seems that someone really wanted it very badly. Roland PC products are commanding a hefty sum these days. If I ever sell mine, I could probably afford a Quad SLI setup!

Reply 5 of 12, by TamaMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The real value becomes lost when dealing with nostalgia/emotions...

I got mine (manual, cables and the disk) for 80 euros a few years back but still wouldn't disclose this sum to my spouse.

Reply 6 of 12, by Nostalgic Gamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeesh, that's a stupid price to pay for a Roland SCC-1. And to think I felt a bit guilty about shelling out $60 for a real Roland MT-32.

I'm not knockin' the Roland SCC-1 for what it is (arguably the best wavetable card ever). But why pay that much?? For that price range, you'd might as well get a newer model compact external module like one of these. http://www.roland.com/products/en/SD-20/brochures.html.

Even if someone gave me a Roland SCC-1, I wouldn't even know what to do with it since it's an ISA bus card. I'd probably just hock it on eBay 😀

Reply 7 of 12, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not knockin' the Roland SCC-1 for what it is (arguably the best wavetable card ever). But why pay that much?? For that price range, you'd might as well get a newer model compact external module like one of these. http://www.roland.com/products/en/SD-20/brochures.html.

Those modules, even though they are GS compatible, don't sound anything like the SCC-1. If you want to hear how the games sounded back in the day, you would use an SCC-1 or other Roland product of a similar vintage.

Even if someone gave me a Roland SCC-1, I wouldn't even know what to do with it since it's an ISA bus card. I'd probably just hock it on eBay Happy

You build a retro PC with it of course!

Reply 8 of 12, by Nostalgic Gamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Those modules, even though they are GS compatible, don't sound anything like the SCC-1. If you want to hear how the games sounded back in the day, you would use an SCC-1 or other Roland product of a similar vintage.

Really? The SD-20 samples on the PG music website sounded "Sound Canvassy" and didn't sound bad at all. And it is a Roland synth so I wouldn't think it would sound that different from the old Sound Canvas family (if anything I would think it would be an improvement). But anyways, it's a module for authoring music; it's totally inappropriate for just playing classic DOS games, no disagreement there; I was just making a point that over $220 for an SCC-1 is absurdly expensive.

I play piano and keyboards and actually have a Roland JV-35 for General MIDI/GS sound myself (the GS section is basically the Sound Canvas SC55-mkII synth engine). I've had it forever and still like it. The synthesizer is great but the controller is utter crap if you're used to playing an acoustic piano; I ended up using a separate 88-key weighted MIDI controller with it. That being the case, I might as well have gotten an sc55-MKII and saved some space and $$ 🙁 (although the jv-35 expansion section does have some cool jv80 and jv1000 sounds).

You build a retro PC with it of course!

Hehe, trying to get a hold of an LAPC-1 and an SCC-1 would apparently cost much more than the rest of the PC 😀 Well anyways, happy gaming!

Reply 9 of 12, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I play piano and keyboards and actually have a Roland JV-35 for General MIDI/GS sound myself (the GS section is basically the Sound Canvas SC55-mkII synth engine). I've had it forever and still like it. The synthesizer is great but [snip]

You are all set then, as that synthesizer will faithfully reproduce SCC-1 music (as the SCC-1 is an SC-55 on a card.) You will never have to buy an SCC-1 as long as you keep the synthesizer. SC-55mkIIs cost a fair bit as well, so if money is tight, stick with what you have.

In my opinion, people should stick ton external modules when possible, not only as they more flexible than ISA cards, and there is always a module that exactly corresponds to the capabilities of the important cards, but they are much more common and durable than ISA cards.

If you are building a retro PC, you only need one 100% compatible MPU-401 compatible midi interface, which generally are not as expensive as the cards with synth engines on them.

Reply 10 of 12, by Nostalgic Gamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are all set then, as that synthesizer will faithfully reproduce SCC-1 music (as the SCC-1 is an SC-55 on a card.) You will never have to buy an SCC-1 as long as you keep the synthesizer. SC-55mkIIs cost a fair bit as well, so if money is tight, stick with what you have.

Ummm ... yeah, I know this (I wasn't the one shoppong for the SCC-1) I'm just sayin' that way back when I bought the JV-35 ... oh never mind!

If you are building a retro PC, you only need one 100% compatible MPU-401 compatible midi interface, which generally are not as expensive as the cards with synth engines on them.

Man, what's with you and retro PC's!? I'm not building a retro PC! I don't want an SCC-1, I don't want an MPU-401 (I threw away an old MPU-401 compatible MusicQuest MQX-32M ISA card last time I cleaned house. Ya, they're real cheap) and I don't want a retro PC! DosBox works great! You have an unhealthy obsession with retro PC's! Hey hey, just messin' around 😜 😁
Happy gaming!

Reply 11 of 12, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And another one that went for $204.01 + Shipping! 😲 🤑 😳
Dang, I'm glad I only spent $120 shipped for my SCB-55

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=290006091691

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀