VOGONS

First post, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My 17" CRT monitor is gettinglong in the tooth and I saw that wide screen monitors were very reasonable.
I do a lot of video editing so a widescreen would be good, however I am afraid that my legacy games will look funny.
Do they have a switch to go to 4:3 like most TVs?

Reply 1 of 7, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Dell 24inch WS (2405fpw) displays games like Diablo 2 in the regular 4:3 mode with black bars on the side. I can't remember but I think it's my vid card that does the conversion (6800gt).

I would SOOOO not use an LCD for vintage gaming. Non native resolutions look like utter crap. Just get a decent 19inch CRT for peanuts and you'll be set 😁

Oh and one last thing, if you go widescreen, don't go for anything less than a 24!

I went from a 19 CRT to a 20.1 WS and it just wasn't doing it for me, definately didn't have the 'wow' factor cause it was basically the same visible height as the 19.

Check out places like slick deals and you can get a 24er for ~600 or less (I got mine for $412 back in the day on a steal of a deal)

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 3 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For LCD monitors and vintage gaming, I would get a 1280x1024 monitor. It will give a 5:4 pixel ratio for 320x200 sources, very close to the true ratio of 4:3. For 640x480 sources, a 2x scale will give you 1280x960 and the borders aren't particularly noticeable.

To play Diablo 2, which uses a 640x480 resolution on the 1920x1200 native resolution Dell '2405, is a challenge.

Reply 4 of 7, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Er, D2:LoD 800x600... it took some getting used to on the 24, but it's bareable now.

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by Nostalgic Gamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For what it's worth, I found what also works really well for dosbox games on my widescreen monitor is setting the desktop resolution to 1280x720 and using the following setitngs .conf settings

windowresolution=original
aspect=true
scaler=normal3x (or any of the 3x scaler settings)

The window height ends up being perfect taking up the whole screen from top to bottom. I usually end up doing this instead of using dosbox fullscreen.