VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Say you are one of the lucky people with a good midi card. Only problem is that the card is an ISA card and your supercharged PC has no ISA slots or room for an older PCI card with a waveblaster header. You still want to use the card with DOSBox or with a sequencer, so how do you do it? You have three options:

Option One: Obtain the equilavent standalone module. Here they are for some devices:
Roland LAPC-I = Roland CM-32L
Roland SCC-1 = Roland CM-300
Roland SCB-07 = Roland SC-7
Roland SCB-55 = Roland SC-55mkII
Yamaha DB50XG or SW60XG = Yamaha MU-10
IBM Music Feature Card = Yamaha FB-01

Option Two: Obtain a used PC with the appropriate number of ISA slots. Make sure it has 16-bit slots if you plan to use 16-bit cards. The primary function of the old PC, unless you are using it as a retro PC, is to provide power for the various cards. But if you are not planning to really use this PC, you still need it for a secondary purpose. That purpose is to load drivers to initialize the midi interfaces of the various cards. Sound Blaster cards will not send midi data to a waveblaster card unless programmed to do so, which requires loading a driver in the autoexec.bat or config.sys at startup. Roland cards will not send sysex commands to a sound source, which is essential for MT-32 music, unless the MPU-401 interface is programmed to do so. You should be able to include all this functionality on a boot disk. Your primary PC will also need an external midi interface to send the midi data to the cards. The 5.25 bay drives for the Sound Blaster Live!, Audigy and X-Fi should work.

Reply 1 of 7, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great Hierophant, tell more please about IBM Music Feature Card? What is it? How useful it can be in dos games? I bought this card brand new in box on ebay 2 years ago - just for collection purposes. i'm not use it - she sitting in his box 😀 I found some info about this card - this is FM module? Can be used in any FM capable application or in IBM music feature supported only? I saw this card support only in F19. How legendary and useful his sound in comparision with other old midi devices?

Reply 2 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great Hierophant, tell more please about IBM Music Feature Card? What is it? How useful it can be in dos games? I bought this card brand new in box on ebay 2 years ago - just for collection purposes. i'm not use it - she sitting in his box Happy I found some info about this card - this is FM module? Can be used in any FM capable application or in IBM music feature supported only? I saw this card support only in F19. How legendary and useful his sound in comparision with other old midi devices?

A good score to be sure. I just got mine, but it is a bare card only and is awaiting testing. It is based on FM Synthesis technology, but unlike the Adlib, which uses two operator synthesis, the Music Feature uses four-operator synthesis. Also unlike the Adlib or Sound Blaster, the card can interpret the midi data without further programming and send it to the FM chip. (That is why it is 13" long!) It can only be used with games and software with explicit support for the card. It is legendary but rather limited in its uses. Its midi interface is not MPU-401 compatible, unlike the its highly regarded Roland contemporaries.

The Music Feature card can be used in the following DOS games:
http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,22/

Check this forum post for more information on the card:
http://www.queststudios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1602

Reply 4 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanx. I wonder if FB-01 module can works like a player for imf files hooked to sb midi port. Any chances?

Probably not. The program sending the IMF files expect the Midi Interface on the IMF Card. However, with Sierra's games, you can use an FB-01 just like the IMFC if you attach it to a Roland MPU-401 Midi Interface.

Reply 6 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Manufactured by Roland? (MPU-401/AT) Or any MPU-401 port even on SB cards?

It must be a Roland manufactured MPU-401. Otherwise, you will have to write your own driver or use DOSBox.

Reply 7 of 7, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe off topic [in which case apologies], but I have two PCs I want to link up. A p3 machine running Linux, which we use to edit music scores [using Rosegarden] - this software produces MIDI output and you can play through a suitable keyboard. But it's a hassle having the KB connected all the time.

An alternative I wondered about was connecting the MIDI out on the P3 card [an Aureal Vortex 2] to the MIDI-IN on my second machine [EWS64XL front interface]. Just plugging it in however clearly isn't doing the job, and I'm not sure if it's me not setting up the software right, or something that inherently doesn't make sense and wil never work.

THe idea is twofold:

- the P3 plays it's MIDI output through the second machine's EWS64XL [so sounds comes out the speakers attached to that]

- the EWS machine can record the MIDI input, either as MIDI or as .WAV

Grateful for views!