VOGONS

First post, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a GXpro from Ebay a while back because of all the info that dvwjr graciously supplied HERE (scroll down to his long post)

Was thinking the Cntl-Alt-/ to knock it down from a P200 to an 8mhz machine would do the trick. Turns out it makes the game run too slow! 🤣

Oh well, back to the drawing board, good thing I have an older 486dx66 in the closet, although I have a feeling even THAT machine will be to fast!

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 2 of 6, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only 20,000 copies were made... and they're now going for $200+!!!!! WHAT THE.... FUNK was Origin thinking with such a small release?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 😳 😳 😳

Man.... faint!!!

Hmm, although reading up on it at CIC it looks like it was buggy and I'm sure the 'updated' music meant converting all those lovely MID to Red Book.. and well.. heck.. that's the whole reason I'm getting my SCB-55.. TO PLAY MIDI!!!! 😁

I loaded up WC1 on my Acer 486DX266 machine over the weekend and well.. duh.. it ran to darn fast.

However, in the Bios I was able to disable System Cache, and there was a speed setting "Low and High" whatever that meant.

By messing around with those two options I got the game somewhat playable. The speed seems great during intro and mission briefing... but runs a little slow once you're into game play 🙁 🙁 🙁

I swear... I guess I'll be breaking down and getting a 386 here in the future.... 🤣 I'm gonna need a 4-port KVM switch before it's all over

Oh and a side question. I have a DB50xg hooked up to my ISA SB16 for now.. and even when running the SB16 daughterboard 'fix' pgm. It still is unable to load up WC1 when having the music set to "MT-32 / LAPC-1" Hmm... would it still crash when I get my SCB-55 on there? Or do you physically have to have a MT-32 or LA to get the game to work?

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 3 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you need moslo then
http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/
http://www.textmodegames.com/download/moslo.html

I know for certain I played WC1 on a 486DX2/50 when I first played it. That was what I had after my Tandy 1000 286 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used moslo on my P200 and it was a no go.. way to stuttery 🙁

Hmm.. guess I could give it a try on ye ole 486.

Reply 6 of 6, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're correct swaaye... but it made things "choppy"