VOGONS

MechWarrior 2 3dfx edition

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 49, by LCountach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry but the only way I know to run the 3DFX version in XP is the "Command line Trick" + dgvoodoo.

I don't know how you got warp13's patch to apply itself to the 3DFX version. It has protection against that. I had already worked out a way to configure a mech for the "Command line Trick" missions but I did not mention it. I thought it too complex and it offered limited functionality. However it seems FIVE-one you may already be walking down that road. You will need the Win95 v1.1 patch, Warp13's patch, and dgvoodoo.

WARNING: This method is very clunky and difficult. I don't recommend this. It does not allow the game to be played fully as the makers intended.

Apply dgvoodoo 1.5 as described above in previous posts.
Warp13's patch targets the MW2.DLL and MW2SHELL.DLL in the standard Win95 v1.1 game.
You can obtain these DLLs from the Win95 v1.1 patch zip.
Place the v1.1 DLLs into a new folder of there own.
Apply warp13's patch to those DLLs.
Backup the 2 original DLLs from the 3DFX version to their own folder.
Copy the 2 new DLLs the patch fixes into the main 3DFX Mech2 folder.
The game WILL now be able to Launch. However the game will crash on mission loading just like you described FIVE-one.
Use the "Trial Of Grievance" to configure a Mech.
Launch the Grievance and let it crash.
Switch back to the Original DLLs.
Use the "Command line Trick" and launch any mission.
The mission will use the Mech last configured in the "Trial Of Grievance".
You can switch the DLLs back & forth for other mech configs.

This is crazy, complicated, and limited but it works. At least it does for me. However I will only play on Win9x because it gives the full experience.

FIVE-one I hope that helps.

Reply 21 of 49, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yup it helped me a lot.
But it's clear the Win9x launching is very easier.
Nonetheless the only thing I had to do to patch with Warp 13 patch was :
-Patch the game with the 1.1 patch (so it replaced the 2 DLLs)
-Patch with Warp13 patch (it ran and succeed)
-Launch in Win95 comp mode.
I'll try your mothed to set a mech.
So it might be possible to play the whole campaign ? Are video played ?

Hail to the Emperor !

Reply 25 of 49, by LCountach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some guy Köntzä figured out a way to run the complete Win95 MechWarrior 2 series in XP.
http://kontza.googlepages.com/mechwarrior2%3A … ariesxppatching

It only specifically mentions Mercenaries but I have tested almost every Windows Mech2 version.
Each one I tested worked with only various steps needed.

For the 3DFX version we are talking about here you only need step #1 and #2 from his guide.
After that install dgvoodoo as described above and you are good to go.
You will able to play the complete game!

Reply 27 of 49, by LCountach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually DosFreak the Win95/PENTIUM EDITIONS are identical to the DOS versions. They just run in a Windows GUI. If you run the Desktop at 640x480 the Win versions will also run the GUI Full Screen just like DOS. Infact The Win95 versions include the DOS installs because they share the same files. The special 3D enhanced versions like 3DFX and ATI RAGE are very similar. They just had more texturing and very slight GameEngine changes. It was only with Mercs and Titanium the actual GamePlay/GameEngine began to change. The reason many may want Win95 Compatibility is because it may be the only copy they have.

I will admit I did dig up the DOS versions recently. I played both DOS and Titaniums all the way through. I did enjoy the GameEngine/Feel of the DOS over Titanium. Titanium graphics are pretty but somehow repetitive and bland.

The 3DFX version looks very Nice. The gameplay is almost identical to DOS. The 3DFX is capable of making the atmosphere feel more Alien. Much more like each planet is different.

On a final note. With this patching method the Win95 versions are far more compatible in XP than the DOS versions. I was never able to get any DOS version to play on my Rig. I followed all the guides to play in XP and nothing worked. I had to build a Win98 Rig to play the DOS games properly. Many people swear DOS versions work in XP. I tried four XP machines. Only one was able to play. Sadly it was my laptop.

Reply 28 of 49, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tryied what the link guide told but I sill got the crashing problem...
Maybe I didnt set up dgvoodoo properly...
And I specified full screen mode in the setup, and the game didnt launch in full screen mode...looks like I still dunno how to set up this dgvoodoo 🤣

Hail to the Emperor !

Reply 30 of 49, by LCountach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FIVE-one Your system sounds like it could easily handle this game.
I know of very little that would speed it up.
From my experience dgvoodoo offers good performance with default settings.
I recomend just dropping in a fresh Glide.dll from the dgvoodoo ZIP and playing the game with that.
However you could try these options:
Under the Global tab in dgvoodoo make sure RGB Emulation under the Display driver is NOT selected.
RGB Emulation is very slow!
I have noticed that LFB access drasticly effected performance on one of my PCs. Try switching those options around.

I did notice one In Game option that drastically affected performance. While playing a mission hit Esc. In the Graphics options choose 800x600 "No". dgvoodoo is changing the 3D resolution for the game. However switching between 800x600 Yes & No is still toggling the HUD resolution. This option will only take effect when you restart the mission.

Resolution and Bit Depth also will effect performance. Don't go too high just because it looks pretty. Start with 640x480x16Bit and work your way up.

Reply 31 of 49, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok just like any other game so
I've found the source of my problems since the beginning :
DON't APPLY PATCH 1.1 ON A 3DFX VERSION !!!
you wouldn't be able to play if it has been installed (i tryied the step you gave on the links, it didn't worked.
I reinstalled, redo the same, (without patching) the game runs perfectly...)

Hail to the Emperor !

Reply 32 of 49, by LCountach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep! The new method eliminates the need for all the other hoops we needed to jump through.

NOTE: The Win95 v1.1 patch was NEVER EVER intended for any of the 3D enhanced versions 3DFX, ATI, Ect. They are already v1.1. We were just forced to use crappy hacks to run the game.

Isn't it nice when things start to work! 😀

To be honest my opinion is that the MechWarrior 2 series are Great Games! It just seems Activision's quality control was Piss-Pore at best! Too many versions. Too many bugs. Too little support for all those versions. I just bought an ATI Rage PRO 8-MB + Mech2 Rage Edition. The Rage PRO is actually so fast (compared to its predecessors Rage & Rage II) it runs the 3DFX + dgvoodoo better than Activision's port specifically coded for the RAGE chips. Crazy! I even underclocked and overclocked the RAGE with NO effect. This game came out when a Pentium 100~200Mhz was standard. I am running it on a 1100Mhz. The Rage Edition is so porely coded it's still CPU limited! Overclocking the CPU actually increased the FPS from 16fps to 20fps. Absolutely laughable!:lol: I tried every graphics option. Again NO effect. Except for One - Textured Ground On/Off. On will spike the FPS from 60fps to under 10fps as you turn a 360. Toggling Off will allow the game to hit over 90fps on a Rage PRO! 😳

Anyway I could rant all night. I am glad that many of you are now able to play and enjoying this great game.

Reply 33 of 49, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah thanks to you Lcountach
it was for 5 years i was trying to move that damned game.
I even got a question : is it normal viewing distance (when models become seeable) is reduced around 900m ? I didnt remember that.
It's so lame to shoot in a target at 1km without seing it...

Hail to the Emperor !

Reply 38 of 49, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found an interesting patch : a mod giving you the access to the Elemental armor, the Tarentula and the Battlemaster IIc (some of foe we can encounter in the game but we can't pilot).
I downloaded it here, on the Battletech wiki :
http://sarna.net/files/index.php/programs/gam … rior_2/patches/
it's called btmst95.exe
It looks like running well with the Tarentula and the Battlemaster, but it bugs when selecting the elemental in the lab, crashing the game...
Does anyone have an issue ?

Hail to the Emperor !