VOGONS

SB16 under XP

Topic actions

First post, by jthieme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's my setup, been very happily running Win98se for sometime and am able to run most of my DOS games without any issues:

Soyo P4I845pe ISA 1GB ram 2.67GHZ P4
SB16
SCC-1 + MT32

I also use this machine as my day to day computer and I'm starting to see more and more apps and games not supporting Win98 so I decided to take the plunge and install XP (in a separate partition of course). After some fiddling I got XP running and all of the hardware working with the exception of the SB16.

Has anyone ever gotten a SB16 working under XP? In searching I saw some people claiming they did with early XP Beta's by installing the SB16 drivers in compatiblity mode. Or has anyone developed a driver for it yet?

I have separate on board sound so I've currently got that configured as a wave device and the SCC-1 as my midi but I would prefer to keep that disabled and use the SB16 if possible.

Reply 1 of 4, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, there *is* a driver for it, but I haven't tested it myself. Just go to your control panel, press "add hardware". Tell the wizard you've already connected the device, in the next screen scroll down and then choose "add new device". Then choose to install the hardware manually from a list, once the list is shown choose "Sound, video and game controllers". Another list pops up asking for the manufacturer and the device to be installed. Choose "Creative Technology Ltd." and then in the box to the right you should see a device driver called "Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32 or compatible (WDM)". Install it and when everything is al right your SB 16 should work now. Hope this works out for you. 😀

Reply 2 of 4, by jthieme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah thanks so much, I didn't realize that XP had one included. Got it to work ok. The only issue now that I'm seeing is that for some reason XP hangs during boot if I use my BIOS settings to reserve IRQ's 5 and 9 for ISA, I can reserve one or the other but not both for some reason. If I don't reserve them, then they get assigned as pnp resources and my SB16 and SCC-1 don't work in DOS. I also had an issue where the XP SB16 driver insisted on using IO ports 330-331 even thought I had it configured to use 300-301 instead. Finally I just removed the microsoft MPU-401 driver that I was using for the SCC-1 on 330 and let the creative mpu driver have it that port. But since my SCC-1 is really on that port the output still goes to there and my MT32

Reply 3 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I think you also need to exclude the IRQ's somewhere in your XP Device Manager => System Devices => something...

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 4, by jthieme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I know there was an uption in Win98 to reserver specific IRQs/IO ports/etc but I'm not seeing anything similar in WinXP. I did some searching on microsoft and found the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314068/kb/314068

It sounds like WinXP isn't as flexible as Win98 was when it comes to being able to assign specific IRQs on a ACPI compliant motherboard. It also seems to suggest that for certain changes you need to perform a reinstall to get them to take effect.

As of this point though I think I have everything working pretty much the way I want even though XP is claiming I have conflicts, but right now:

Under real mode DOS I can access the SB16 on both IRQ's 5&7 and the SCC-1/MT32 under IRQ 2/9 and port 330

Under Win98, the SB16 is my Wave Device and the SCC-1/MT32 is my midi device. In Win98 Dos mode I'm able to access the SB16, SCC-1 and MT32

Under WinXP the SB16 is my Wave Device and although its showing the SB16 midi port as my Midi device it's actually going to my SCC-1/MT32 as I want. Dosbox on WinXP is also able to use my SCC-1 and MT32

I couldn't get the joystick port on the SB16 to work but I enabled the one built into the motherboard and that's working under dos, win98 and XP

So I'm happy and I appreciate the help. Now that I'm finally running XP though I want to have an NTFS partition so I my video captures aren't limited to 4GB anymore. I just ordered a new 320gb drive to replace one of my exiting 120gb drives and I plan to partition it as half FAT32 and half NTFS. So I'm sure I'll break something else when I go to do that. 😅