VOGONS

Download a game and run it on an old computer without an emulator?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by schiminator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my computer is an old compaq
Windox XP ver. 2002
intel celeron processor
631 MHz w/ 231 MB RAM

Is it possible to download a game, specifically X-Com Apocalypse,
and run it on the computerwithout an emulator?

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Maybe. Did you try?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
schiminator wrote:
my computer is an old compaq Windox XP ver. 2002 intel celeron processor 631 MHz w/ 231 MB RAM […]
Show full quote

my computer is an old compaq
Windox XP ver. 2002
intel celeron processor
631 MHz w/ 231 MB RAM

Okay.....

schiminator wrote:

Is it possible to download a game,

It is, regardless what O/S you're using. Whether it's legal or not is another thing.

schiminator wrote:

specifically X-Com Apocalypse,
and run it on the computerwithout an emulator?

X-Com Apocalypse is a Win9x game, and as far as I know, there's no Win9x emulator on WinXP.

However, I'm not sure whether X-Com Apocalypse is one of those pesky Win9x games that won't run on XP (Magic: The Gathering and Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun come to mind). Mind you, there are not many of such games.

Here's an obvious advice: try running the game first. If you fail, try Compatibility Tab in Properties menu. If you keep failing, then you may want to try MS Application Compatibility Toolkit.

However, considering your system (631 MHz Celeron with 231 MB RAM), frankly I see no point of installing WinXP on the first place --even 256 MB of RAM is merely the minimum threshold to comfortably run XP. It'll be much better if you install Windows 98, then you can definitely play X-Com Apocalypse and many older games as well.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 10, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

X-Com Apocalypse is a Win9x game, and as far as I know, there's no Win9x emulator on WinXP.

I'm sorry KAN - but I think there was only some kind of installation routine for X-COM APOCA under Win95, so you could install and also (in a dos-box) play the game under win95, but the game itself is a DOS-game. But you're right - X-COM APOCA will work under win98 in dos-box or by starting the dos-mode (7.0).

So the best way to play the game on this machine would be:
- Install win98 (NOT Me!) - or - if you familiar with it: install a dual boot configuration (that's the way I did it) with pure DOS (i.E. 6.2) and your favorite operating system separatly using a boot manager.

- Get the game from the web (if this is legally possible) or ebay (look for a boxed edition with the manual - you will need it)
Install it. Don't forget to configure your soundcard right.

enjoy!

Reply 4 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Silent Loon wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I'm sorry KAN - but I think there was only some kind of installation routine for X-COM APOCA under Win95, so you could install and also (in a dos-box) play the game under win95, but the game itself is a DOS-game.

Duh! It was many years ago. 😖

Silent Loon wrote:

But you're right - X-COM APOCA will work under win98 in dos-box or by starting the dos-mode (7.0).

Yes, it did. I just forgot that it's actually a DOS game. 😢

Silent Loon wrote:
So the best way to play the game on this machine would be: - Install win98 (NOT Me!) - or - if you familiar with it: install a […]
Show full quote

So the best way to play the game on this machine would be:
- Install win98 (NOT Me!) - or - if you familiar with it: install a dual boot configuration (that's the way I did it) with pure DOS (i.E. 6.2) and your favorite operating system separatly using a boot manager.

- Get the game from the web (if this is legally possible) or ebay (look for a boxed edition with the manual - you will need it)
Install it. Don't forget to configure your soundcard right.

enjoy!

However, I'm just thinking......

Yes, I remember it again now: it is actually a DOS game running on Win98. However, since it's a DOS game, I think it's still possible having it run under WinXP DOS. In fact (but correct me if I'm wrong), I think it's easier to run DOS games in XP instead of running Win9x-only games.

Yes, there's still sound issues and such, but since it's "late" DOS game (1997 and above), I'd rather suggest VDMSound instead of DOSBox. I run run Sandwarriors, Fragile Allegiance, and Druid: Daemons of the Mind on XP successfully with VDMSound.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 10, by schiminator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well to put it short

I use my old computer to see what happens after i download new crap before moving it on to the new computer
The new one has to last about decade

My next question will make me a noob/idiot/DUMBASS for asking but ummm....

I cant figure out HOW to download the game i go to the website i check all the FAQs, the forums, even left a quick message at the game download section

So yeah.....Send me a FAQ i missed? Or tell me what i did wrong?
Or whatever