VOGONS

Tandy 1000 HX Emulation

Topic actions

First post, by RX9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox is a miracle. It is the best emulator I have found to handle the Tandy 3-voice sound and the "TGA"/ PCJr. graphics modes simultanuously. However, there is still a remaining issue. When attempting to launch the "Personal DeskMate 2" software that came with the 1000 HX, the text within the graphics is either garbled or non-existant. To explain futher, the program brings up a graphical shell which is displayed fine, but the standard text with the "list boxes" and other areas of the environment cannot be displayed. Does anyone have an idea for a resolution?

Reply 1 of 58, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Try the command

INTRO SPECIAL

and the CTRL-F5 key to capture a screen shot. Then post the shot here.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 58, by RX9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks very much for your interest and help. Please look at the image and see that the shell is intact, and that the ASCII text within is the problem (which I thought would have been the easy part!) 😀 Since I know how to navigate this program, I was even able to bring up a graphical image from within the included Paint app with no problem. Navigating the Music app, I was able to play all supplied 3-voice tunes. The only issue is being able to see where you are because of the text problem. The Personal DeskMate program, by the way, can be downloaded at the following page (pdm2.zip): http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/deskmate.html

Attachments

• PDM2.png
    Filename
    PDM2.png
    File size
    7.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 58, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't have a solution for you, but DOSBox is constantly being improved. You can try to download one of the as-yet unreleased versions listed in this thread:

DOSBox SVN Builds

You should first try:

http://www.aep-emu.de/cvscompile/dosbox.htm

since it is as close the the next official release as possible. If that doesn't work, try ykhwong's or gulikoza's versions.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 58, by RX9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On the other hand, this is the only emulator that actually brings up the shell itself, which is a huge step forward. Please note that the few characters that you see in the shell image are not actually generated characters (F2, F3, etc), they are merely graphical elements incorporated into the shell to represent these functions. So the problem is still with ASCII charactes applied to the shell, which, incidentally, display fine at the prompt. For these reasons, it may not be the Tandy BIOS, and we may be close to a solution. I will try the BETA versions and report back. Thanks! 😀

Reply 6 of 58, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

For these reasons, it may not be the Tandy BIOS

Well i suppose the tandy bios had some character table at a fixed
location or something, and the prog reads this one (crap in dosbox).
Regular int10 should work, uses the "correct" tables.
But as i said i didn't delve too deep into it as far as i remember.

Reply 7 of 58, by RX9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WD,
Thanks for your insight, as this makes a lot of sense. Tandy had a way of making various "premium" versions of DeskMate proprietary, and they kept doing this until the decline of the program around 1991 in favor of Windows 3.0/3.1. If you are correct, the question then becomes whether or not there is a way to redirect the program to look at the correct character table? Please bear in mind that I am not a programmer beyond the writing of a ton of DOS batch files over the years. Thanks for any further insight you might offer.

Reply 8 of 58, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'll try to have a look at the bios docs and listings, maybe it doesn't
make sense what i'm talking about 😉

There was some thread about deskmate somewhere on the forums,
maybe i'll dig that up, could contain useful information as well.

Reply 9 of 58, by RX9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I looked up the other DeskMate thread only to find that it dealt with exactly the same subject over a year ago. One message mentioned that there may have been fonts in the Tandy ROM. The shell images look like they are looking for a font table at a certain memory location which is not there, hence the displyed garbage. If this is correct and if we knew the memory location, it would be theoretically possible to map a table into memory using a debug script, and then launch "Desk" from a batch file. Any thoughts about this?

Reply 10 of 58, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

One message mentioned that there may have been fonts in the Tandy ROM.

That was me 😉
Tandy roms seem to have font tables in their very high area, at a different
location than the pcjr (dosbox has neither, but uses the graphics rom).
You can't really use a debug script or something, but would need to
recompile dosbox (well after adding some loader for the tandy rom,
which should be quite easy if it's just for the font).

Reply 11 of 58, by RX9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your insight, but what you describe is probably beyond my current level of experience. I will check back here from time to time to see if one of the developers has enough interest to include Tandy ROM in a future release. At least I have a direction, and a partial solution thanks to DOSBox. BTW, this forum is a refreshing change from other emulator forums, where people actually take an interest rather than dismiss you just for making a suggestion. I won't mention names, but there is one forum that I wouldn't "MESS" with (pun intended). Thanks again, WD, and eveyone else who tried to help.

Reply 12 of 58, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does this program work in Tand-Em?
http://www.oldskool.org/pc/tand-em

I don't think Tand-Em works in DosBox but it may work in VPC.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 58, by RX9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tand-Em appears to want only the original Tandy 1000 ROM which is different than the Tandy 1000 HX or TX ROM. I have tried it before, but I got an error message related to the above when trying to launch.

Last edited by RX9 on 2007-06-04, 05:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 58, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The fonts in the rom don't seem to be the cause, but there's a call to
int10/ah=10 which seems to be different on tandy2000 from the regular
vga definition. They are copying entries from the font tables using this
interrupt call.
Maybe the tandy1000 behaves the same, or the tandy detection of
deskmate identifies the dosbox tandy emulation wrongly as tandy2000
or so.

Reply 17 of 58, by RX9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WD,
Can't thank you enough for the research and effort. I guess the question now is whether or not a fix for a future release of DOSBox is a possibility? I have tried just about every emulator out there (including Tand-Em), and this seems to be the best hope.

Reply 18 of 58, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about using MESS? It emulates some Tandys (if you have the ROMS).

Can DOSBox write to ROM areas? If so, a program that puts the original ROM in place can be made (effectively putting the fonts in their place) and intercepting INT 10h to point to correct font tables.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 19 of 58, by RX9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MESS can be configured for the Tandy 1000 HX and it sucessfully goes through the entire "boot" routine. Depending on what you have compiled in the program's required disk image, it can even successfully run CGA-based software, including old games. But as soon as you put "Personal DeskMate 2" into a disk image and try to run it, you get all garbage on the screen. That's why I was excited about DOSBox, because the actual shell does come up, and if you know how to navigate the program without being able to see the fonts, as I do, you can even verify that everything else is indeed working. So, as you can see, I continue to think that DoSBox has the best promise.

As I alluded to earlier, it's also refreshing to be able to ask about a subject on a forum such as this and not be blown out of the water, as with MESS. If the developers choose not to pursue it, that's fine, as I understand there are a lot of requests. But the interest and courtesy are still very much appreciated.