VOGONS

First post, by RX9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been playing around with emulating old versions of Windows within DOSBox with some success. Both 3.0 and 3.1 run fine, and I have actually gotten some programs to run that I had to give up on many years ago when I upgraded from my old 486. Windows 1.01 and 2.03, however, are a different matter. Both can be run from a pure DOS boot on my 98SE system (the former requiring an update to the SETVER table), but neither run within DOSBox. They both provide a brief color splash followed by a crash. Does anyone have any ideas?

Reply 5 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 1x and 2x are so small they can even be booted from a 1.44mb floppy in DosBox. I tested this a couple of months ago and they worked. I want to say 2x crashed doing something in Windows though.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 12, by RX9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the following thread on the net to help me get Windows 1.01 working on a clean DOS boot several weeks ago:

http://www.computing.net/windows31/wwwboard/forum/11819.html

The "C:\> SETVER WIN100.BIN 3.40" command followed by a reboot resulted in perfect display and functionality where there had been none before. Is there any way that this info might help DOSBox execution, or are we still at square one?

Reply 10 of 12, by RX9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have discovered a bootable disk image of Windows 1.01 on line at this location, which is usable with DOSBox:

http://toastytech.com/guis/win101disk.zip

It is necessary to use the "boot" command, and toggle "Num Lock" for everything to work properly, but there don't seem to be any stability issues.

Question: is there a way to force DOSBox to close upon exit, as the standard "-exit" command doesn't seem to work in this mode?

Reply 11 of 12, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Once something is booted there's no way out besides closing dosbox
the "hard" way. If you type exit at the real-dos prompt it just ignores it
at the outer command.com instance, so it's not helpful (same for the
-exit parameter, only useful in the dosbox-internal command prompt).