VOGONS

First post, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Getting back into my retro gaming and my main quiet rig (P180b) has spoiled me.

My OldSchool Rig has a jet engine LG 48x (CRD-8483b).

What's the standard fare speed to get for games up to the middish-90s?

Thanks in advance.

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 1 of 5, by Tabris:DarkPeace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ATAPI 4x to 12x should be quiet, and spin up to speed fairly quickly.

Personally, My money would be an on an 8X ATAPI. (CLV not CAV).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_linear_velocity
Beware of variants, but most lower speeds are CLV.

There is also a brand called TrueX or something similar, that make True X72 CD-ROMs and the like, which run 3 lasers instead of 1 and can spin at a much lower rpm. (Less than 1/3rd the rpm, because higher rpm needed more passes to read the data correctly).

😎

http://users.on.net/~darkpeace

Reply 3 of 5, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ebay is a wonderful yet devious place! LoL

Instead of having to hit up the local computer warehouse / flea markets / garage sales / salvation army etc and spend a LOT of man hours/gas looking locally, I can spend 5 min perusing Ebay in my underroos! 😀

Decided to be nostalgic and get a Creative 8x Internal CD820E CD-ROM drive for $11.69 shipped 😀

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=300086171800

The guy has a LOT of computer related stuff for sale.

I remember upgrading (from a no-name sound card and a 1x speed) to a SB16 + Double Speed CD-ROM Creative "Double Pack" back in the day.. gosh.. it was something crazy like $250-$300 dollars. Anyone remember that 'combo pack'?

Reply 4 of 5, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to sell them....in those chunky purple boxes. My first purchase from that batch was a 'Multimedia' kit consisting of an SB Pro, Double Speed drive and Windows 3.1 with Multimedia Extensions. You could also send away for Battle Chess for Windows with Multimedia Extensions - the full talkie version with all the piece dialogue, sfx and intro sequences in Redbook audio. I was the coolest salesperson on the block when I had my 486dx266 with that kit back in the day - Used to demonstrate it at PC Shows in '92....heh

Reply 5 of 5, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very awesome dh4rm4,

You should post up (in a new thread) stories from back in the day and pics of your collections 😀

I was only 14-15 though back in 1992 when the SB16 came out. Ahh.. the days before my drivers license and having my mom take me to the Mall (which was practically the only place that sold PC games) There were the mom and pop Computer stores at strip mall joints, but those catered more to the Biz world and tech support of computing.

I remember when Best Buy put in it's first store in Tulsa, that was PC heaven.