VOGONS

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bought a used P2 from a rummage sale and tried putting one of my 40GB HDs in it. No matter what jumper setting or BIOS setting I use the BIOS will just NOT detect it. When it seems it's on the right setting the autodetect just loads on forever until I restart. I know the HD is good because it was just working fine yesterday in my other computer.

Is maybe a BIOS update needed or something? Where would I get that sort of thing and how would I know what BIOS type/version I have?

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check if there's a BIOSE update. If this doesn't work, your HDD may have a jumper that limits it's capacity to 32 Gb, so it works in old mainboards.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 10, by Riboflavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ha! Yeah. I have the same problem. Same computer specs. I've been dealing with it for years now.

Still haven't found a BIOS update.

But that might change. Necessity is the mother of invention... just ordered several new P3 processors in the mail, so I might HAVE to update the BIOS because these are coppermine processors, and the motherboard doesn't support them with it's onboard BIOS.

But I digress..

Yes.. if you have a hard-drive limit jumper, you can do that. That's your best bet actually. You are probably stuck at 32 gigs just like me.

Otherwise you can try to find a BIOS update. Look for serial numbers, model numbers etched on your motherboard, and any strings of odd sequences of letters/numbers in your BIOS settings and googlesearch googlesearch googlesearch. Good luck!

-riboflavin

**Don't forget to enjoy the sauce**

Reply 3 of 10, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is a site to check out http://www.wimsbios.com/index.jsp go to the forums they know quite a bit about bios even about modifying it but all you can mod as far as i know is the energy start icon bios displays when the system boots up

Reply 4 of 10, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are also ways around the limit with software hacks of the bootsector. Check with hard drive manufacturer websites, like Westerndigital.com (or whoever made your drives) for a setup disk (image file for booting from floppy or CD). This will allow you to set the drive up for use in a BIOS limited system.

Reply 5 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have a spare PCI slot, you could just add in an IDE card and bypass any BIOS limitations.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 10, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know this is an old thread but I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who replied. I managed to find a BIOS update for my motherboard (which was an Elite-P6BA-A+....bloody hard to find) that allowed it to accept up to 128GB drives. So now it's detecting the 40GB and all is well. Thanks a lot, guys. Couldn't have done it without your links!

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.