CARD_S3 Virge VX
CARD_S3 Virge DX/GX
CARD_Software
CARD_3Dfx Voodoo /M:voodoo2 /I
CARD_3Dfx Voodoo Rush /M:voodoo2 /I
CARD_3Dfx Voodoo2 /M:dx /I
CARD_3Dfx Banshee /M:dx /I
CARD_3Dfx Voodoo3 /M:dx /I

Last edited by Davros on 2007-07-14, 04:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21 of 30, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ps: there is no dx 4

no need to install them all just dx 7 and you'll be fine
probaly be safest not to go to dx 8.1 as none of those old games need it

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 22 of 30, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Direct x 7 does not have all of the files from previous direct x versions and that hurts compatibility for some games. The only way to get those files would be to install direct x 3 then 7. The only way i can get nfs high stakes running in d3d mode right now is to install a patch which is put in the games folder which replaces a direct x 6 file with a direct x 7 file. Game then runs perfectly in d3d mode. It can run perfectly in software render without the patch but it just does not run in d3d without the patch.

Reply 23 of 30, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
abyss wrote:

Direct x 7 does not have all of the files from previous direct x versions and that hurts compatibility for some games. The only way to get those files would be to install direct x 3 then 7.

I wonder if it's possible to install more than one version of DirectX on the same system (IIRC it will fuck up your system, but I haven't tried such thing myself). Nonetheless, if you have tried it, then let us know.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 25 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

off a game cd. btw, I've managed to run NFS3 on XP with DX9c. I did have to replace that renderer DLL as you did. But no special DX files were needed. The game just doesn't work well with modern hardware or OSs. It was buggy back in its time, let alone now with unsupported stuff never dreamed off.

Reply 28 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOS 1.0?! That's some ancient DOS there.

Win95 has DOS 7 built in. Always worked fine for me for DOS games. I used it from 96 thru 2001 or so. 98 has the same or similar DOS version.

Reply 30 of 30, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dos 1.0 isn't very useful nor compatible as it lacks a lot of the internal functions
(has no file handles, only file control blocks)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!