VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Suppose you had two Sound Blaster cards, one 8-bit (Sound Blaster Pro 2.0) and one 16-bit (Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold) in the same system, would they work correctly?

Here are the resources used by the 8-bit card:
I/O 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1

Here are the resources used by the 16-bit card:
I/O 240, I/O 330, IRQ 5, DMA 3, HDMA 5

I use the 16-bit device at some non-default settlings because most later games allow you to change the settings, many earlier games expect the default settings. But this is not the end of the story, because both cards use I/O 388/389 (Adlib support) and I/O 201 (Gameport).

I don't think that a serious bus conflict will result in a read to the Adlib port. Even though many 16-bit Sound Blasters do not have a true Adlib, they must still seem to function identically, so a read should send identical data from both cards. Whichever card wins, the processor will receive the right data. You can simply mute the card whose output you didn't want to hear.

Now the Gameport would present a more serious problem, because a read from the port would cause a bus conflict unless you had the same device hooked up to both ports. Otherwise one gameport will send valid data, while the other will be on an open bus or different data. Fortunately, the early Sound Blasters have a Joystick Enable jumper which should take care of the problem. [/b]

Reply 1 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

I use the 16-bit device at some non-default settlings because most later games allow you to change the settings, many earlier games expect the default settings. But this is not the end of the story, because both cards use I/O 388/389 (Adlib support) and I/O 201 (Gameport).

I ain't no SB expert, but isn't there really any way to change the I/O settings for those above?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 9, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've done such a thing a long time ago. There were some trackers and audio apps that could make use of two SBPro's for quadraphonic sound. As I never tried gaming with such a setup I couldn't tell you how FM synth address conflicts go.

Reply 3 of 9, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SB DSP ports begin at 224, ports from 220 to 223 were used for game blaster
Since SBpro, game blaster upgrade is not possible anymore
Port 220-221 are used for the 1st opl2 and 222-223 for the 2nd, mirroring 388-389
Thus 388 is only needed for compatibility and can be disable on the 2nd card (For SB16 PnP, CTCM allows to disable it)

For quadriphonic sound, the 1st opl3 can be accessed throught 220-223 and the second throught 240-243

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 4 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it works, I've had a SB Pro and an AWE64 in a single system for a long time, at almost the same settings you suggested.

On PnP cards the joystick port can be disabled via CTCM.

It's even possible to have three AWE64 cards in one system, tried it several times, it worked without problems (running Linux, but should be the same for DOS).

Reply 5 of 9, by Riboflavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting. How do multi-SBs work with adlib sound? Do all of the cards play anything written to 388h, or can you disable that address on certain cards with CTCM?

-Riboflavin

**Don't forget to enjoy the sauce**

Reply 6 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Riboflavin wrote:

Interesting. How do multi-SBs work with adlib sound? Do all of the cards play anything written to 388h, or can you disable that address on certain cards with CTCM?

All the cards play simultaneously when accessed via 388h, as far as I remember... (don't know exactly any more, since I mainly used this setup under Linux, years ago when there were only OSS kernel drivers available and realtime software mixing of three MP3 streams seriously bogged down my CPU 😉).

Disabling port 388h via CTCM is possible, but only if you deactivate the whole SB16 core as well (doesn't make much sense).

Reply 7 of 9, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Disabling port 388h via CTCM is possible, but only if you deactivate the whole SB16 core as well (doesn't make much sense).

I think, that depends on the base configurations available and differs between Sound Blaster models. On my AWE64 for example, I can disable the 388h port, but that would also require me to disable the MPU interface (which is crap anyway on AWE cards). The SB16 core would stay activated, though.

Regards,
locutus

for more Retro-related tidbits follow me on X under @ChrisR3tro.

Reply 8 of 9, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've test the different configurations CTCU offers on an AWE32 CT3990

Configuration 0 : Standard configuration A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 + 388
Configuration 1 : Customizable standard configuration
Configuration 2 : No 388
Configuration 3 : No 388 , No MPU
Configuration 4 : No HDMA
Configuration 5 : No HDMA , No 388
Configuration 6 : No HDMA , No 388 , No MPU

With configuration 2, it is possible to use several SB16 without conflict for adlib

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 9 of 9, by jthieme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, I did this for a while when the SB16 first came out since it wasn't 100% SB compatible and didn't work with all my games. So I left my original SB in my computer along with it. I set up batch files to change the blaster variable on the fly as well.