VOGONS

First post, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got an ensoniq soundscape elite soundcard from ebay. The card seems to work, but I am unsure about the configuration it uses for digital effects when a game offers native soundscape support.
The dos-config utility (ssinit.exe) shows/offers configuration of the build-in midi/synth - usually at 330H (via jumper), IRQ 2/9, DMA 1 - the soundblaster emulation (220,5,1) and the adress of the WSS-IO (via jumper, default is 534H, in this case it was 608H).
In the setup-menu of DESCENT (i.e.) you can select port adresses between 320 and 350 and the dma channels 0,1,3 for digital effects. Doing this I got no sound. Nevertheless General Midi works great (at port 330, for music only). When I choose "soundblaster" as digital sound card at the adress 220,5,1 I also hear the voice/sound effects.
In ELDER SCROLLS: ARENA I tried several combinations for the digital effects, but nothing worked. Yet I could hear wonderful midi music, choosing native soundscape support at port 330H.
So what did I do wrong?
How can I get "native ensoniq sound effects"?

Reply 1 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe 534 is what you are looking for. Or 608 if that is what you have it jumpered to. That's what Dark Forces and TIE Fighter will pick for Soundscape digital audio if you do an auto detect.

534 is the default jumper setting.

Reply 2 of 7, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got the digital part working in DOOM... maybe this may help???

http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,2381.0.html

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 3 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Useful links:
Ensoniq FTP mirror
EMU's Ensoniq downloads (final drivers)

There are some very useful txt files in that FTP . Guides.

If you change the card from its default jumpers, the driver installer usually won't set the drivers up correctly. The installer apparently isn't able to detect the port addresses. The Windows drivers can be reconfigured in the Device Manager; just turn off auto-detect and set the resources to the proper jumper settings. IRQ and DMA are fully software-configurable and can be set to whatever open resources you have.

The DOS drivers read a sndscape.ini that is within the Windows dir and set by Windows. So when you set it up in Windows, it should then work in DOS too.

C:\SNDSCAPE is where the DOS drivers get stored. They do access a few files in the Windows directory, like I said. The INI file and the sndscape.co* firmware files. Within the DOS folder should be a INITSS.BAT file that will set a BLASTER environment var, SNDSCAPE var, and run SSINIT /I. SSINIT is the dos Soundscape configure program and will let you set resources, enable/disable a few hardware features, and edit the mixer settings.

The SNDSCAPE environment variable is what SSINIT uses to find the SNDSCAPE.INI and SNDSCAPE.CO* firmware files. You can setup a Windows-independent DOS config by copying those files to the folder with SSINIT and then changing SET SNDSCAPE to that dir.

BTW, a Soundscape without the daughtercard is a regular Soundscape S-2000 or Soundscape II. The only differences between an Elite and a regular Soundscape are the ESP DB and a different 2MB patch set. If you have the headers for the ESP DB, that's sorta odd....perhaps the prior owner removed the ESP for some reason. I don't know for sure though if the later Soundscape boards were just Elites without the DB attached. An Elite will work without the DB but you obviously lose the DSP effects.

I may have an extra ESP DB, btw. 😀 I'll check later. I used to have a broken Elite but I would think the ESP is fine.

Doom doesn't have native Soundscape support. You will need to use Sound Blaster 2.0 (mono 8-bit) as digital audio and General MIDI as music. Sndscape's SB emulation isn't really all that great. I'd suggest a SBPRO or SB16 be alongside it. Though this can be a configuration headache.[/url]

Reply 4 of 7, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the useful information!

An Elite will work without the DB but you obviously lose the DSP effects.

The DB is on the board. Do you think it could be broken? If it is broken, does this mean that I generally can not use the card for digital effects in games in "native mode" ? Only the SB emulation (which is provided by the analog devices codec-chip?)? Or does it mean that I "just" loose effects like reverb and chorus? (Mhm, I remember that I noticed some solder on the DB headers..) Well, I will try the procedures you mentioned above as soon as I've got time and see what happens, but if you know a simple way to check the functionality of the ESP, let me know...

Reply 5 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The simplest way to test it would be to load up the FX Toolkit in Windows and play some MIDI files. Try to apply effects to the output and see what happens.

In DOS, the ESP is initialized automatically on boot with reverb and chorus for music, I believe. You can send the card sysex commands to change the parameters. I did that once. I don't remember how to do it though. You need to find a sysex prog for DOS and figure out the commands.

And yeah I'm almost positive that the AD codec does the SB emulation. Maybe not the FM synthesis music emulation though because it sounds awfully strange, like some sort of wavetable remap jobber. It's definitely awful FM.

Back in the good 'ol simple and wonderful DOS era, I used to run a SBPRO2 alongside my Soundscape. This combo would allow ideal sound from basically every game ever made. Oh the days when I would sit in class and ponder optimal config.sys and autoexec.bat combinations. 🤣!

Reply 6 of 7, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, thanks again...
I just followed your advice, changed a little bit in the autoexec.bat and the game setups and it works wonderful in DARK FORCES and DECENT. I think that the ESP also works, the default reverb/chorus effect you mentioned seems to be there. There is no digital sound in ARENA however, but this could be a problem of the game or its configuration.
Sound quality is pretty good, in DARK FORCES I would even rate it above the GM sound I got from my EWS64 or the Roland SCD-15 I used before. But this might be a question of taste...

Reply 7 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah if a game supports it directly it is an excellent card. Great quality audio, both in MIDI and a clean digital audio section. But, if you want to play a game that lacks native support for the card's digital audio or only has FM music, you are much better off with a real sound blaster pro alongside it. The SB emulation is not only rather low quality, but it has compatibility issues too.

Fortunately an awful lot of games from 1994 and onward have native Soundscape support. Ensoniq really became a major competitor for Creative. One of the reasons they bought them out, no doubt.

BTW, SBPRO is nicer than SB16 in several ways, too. It uses fewer system resources. It supports itself very well, 🤣, whereas a SB16 has some trouble with SBPRO and older SB support. And there are no PNP SBPRO cards. PNP can be very annoying with the SB16s that use it. You have to use extra DOS utils to get them to be recognized and they may pick weird ports/IRQs/DMAs. You even sometimes have to mess with BIOS PNP settings. Yuck.

All SBPRO needs is a SET BLASTER var, and even that is usually optional. No drivers, TSRs, etc. Just rock-solid no-nonsense jumper settings.