VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 183 of 1046, by Yamato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess this is the place to report some bugs im experiencing.
-IBM AT throws many errors at startup and tells me to enter setup. How?
-IBM XT has problem with floppy drive. Cant install Windows 1.03 as it cant read Build floppy.Also after some restarts it wont boot from HDD (im using xtide)
-AMI286 doesnt detect HDD at all
-AMI386 same goes as for AMI286
-Dell System 200 hangs the whole host PC
-Otherwise its great emulator and i hope there is simple solution to these problems which i just couldnt find anywhere 😁
Thanks in advance

(Im using PCem 0.7 from developers site, havent compiled any newer releases)

Reply 184 of 1046, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Yamato wrote:

-AMI286 doesnt detect HDD at all
-AMI386 same goes as for AMI286

The harddisk support works fine here, at least when setup for a type 42 harddisk of 40,7MB with suitable image file.

(It may be nice to add a warning message when an image file in pcem.cfg is not present/found. Currently that situation will usually crash the emulator.)

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 185 of 1046, by Yamato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, heres feedback:
-IBM AT still not fixed
-IBM XT fixed
-AMI286 fixed
-AMI386 fixed
-Dell System 200 still not fixed
Is there a way to have color in Windows 1.0? It requires EGA for color. I tried CGA but it doesnt work. Sadly, VGA support wasnt there until Windows 2.03.
Thanks in Advance

Reply 186 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yamato wrote:
Ok, heres feedback: -IBM AT still not fixed -IBM XT fixed -AMI286 fixed -AMI386 fixed -Dell System 200 still not fixed Is there […]
Show full quote

Ok, heres feedback:
-IBM AT still not fixed
-IBM XT fixed
-AMI286 fixed
-AMI386 fixed
-Dell System 200 still not fixed
Is there a way to have color in Windows 1.0? It requires EGA for color. I tried CGA but it doesnt work. Sadly, VGA support wasnt there until Windows 2.03.
Thanks in Advance

VGA is backwards compatible with EGA, so you can have color on Windows 1.0x even with VGA.

Reply 192 of 1046, by ryaxnb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yamato wrote:

Is there going to be pcem 0.8? If not, can someone help me compile pcem from source code?

Also i have problem with EGA. PCem beeps but doesnt give any screen output and crashes.Please help

Thanks in advance

Basic procedure for compiling is to install mingw, install OpenAL (use archive.org to get the SDK and freealut-bin), install MSYS, install directx 8 for MinGW, add MinGW directories (Mingw\bin, Mingw\msys\1.0\bin, mingw\mingw32\bin) to your PATH, go to the src directory of the Pcem source zip file and run "make -f Makefile.mingw" or something to that effect (basically, make -f <makefile>.) if you get an error about needing a ".h" file or the like, find the file (google is your friend) and place it in Mingw\include and any associated libraries in Mingw\lib. you'll need to place OpenAL and possibly OpenAL-Soft DLLs in either your windows System32 folder or the PCem folder, as well. Once all this is done, you'll have a compiled binary. it will need ROMs, which can be found on the internet, and you'll need a copy of the OS (MSDOS or etc) of course.
If you need help, i can PM you a compiled binary.

Reply 194 of 1046, by Yamato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ryaxnb wrote:
Yamato wrote:

Is there going to be pcem 0.8? If not, can someone help me compile pcem from source code?

Also i have problem with EGA. PCem beeps but doesnt give any screen output and crashes.Please help

Thanks in advance

Basic procedure for compiling is to install mingw, install OpenAL (use archive.org to get the SDK and freealut-bin), install MSYS, install directx 8 for MinGW, add MinGW directories (Mingw\bin, Mingw\msys\1.0\bin, mingw\mingw32\bin) to your PATH, go to the src directory of the Pcem source zip file and run "make -f Makefile.mingw" or something to that effect (basically, make -f <makefile>.) if you get an error about needing a ".h" file or the like, find the file (google is your friend) and place it in Mingw\include and any associated libraries in Mingw\lib. you'll need to place OpenAL and possibly OpenAL-Soft DLLs in either your windows System32 folder or the PCem folder, as well. Once all this is done, you'll have a compiled binary. it will need ROMs, which can be found on the internet, and you'll need a copy of the OS (MSDOS or etc) of course.

Thanks, you helped me alot. 😀
Now, does anyone know how to install windows nt in pcem? I tried installing it but it needs some hdd drivers. Error code made me think that because it said INACCESIBLE BOOT DEVICE.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 198 of 1046, by PeterPanPirate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ryaxnb wrote:

I really don't understand why it's so difficult to upload a binary every now and then, and why this elitist view that it can't be shared, not everybody has the know how or capabilities to compile it. 😕 Most emulators, IE WinUAE, DeSmuME, PCSX 2, Dolphin, ect all have active releases every now and then (Pcsx2/Dolphin has releases every every few hours) .

The Pros of having a public "SVN" release is way more beneficial than what the current release cycle is. I can't see a negative with a SVN release cycle. With an active release cycle you gain a lot of beta testers which will find bugs way easier than a few elitist.

Reply 199 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterPanPirate wrote:

I really don't understand why it's so difficult to upload a binary every now and then, and why this elitist view that it can't be shared

I don't think I've ever said that development binaries can't be shared. I'd prefer it if they weren't made widely available, as they aren't guaranteed to be stable, however I accept that since releases are getting slower (due to real life) that this isn't an entirely reasonable position. I don't, however, want to try to support a huge number of unstable releases single handedly. The emulators you mention have multiple developers and large and active userbases, whereas PCem is just me developing and probably just the few people who post in this thread as a userbase. Hence the release schedule isn't about 'elitism', it's about me trying to stay sane.