VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 400 of 1046, by Alegend45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

She means with the actual chip. I did a little research, not having an S3 myself, and determined that the Trio64 and the Trio64V+ are integrated 864s and 868s respectively, between which there is no difference but motion video capabilities in the 868. The Windows 3.1 driver doesn't seem to use that though, meaning that the drivers should work on both cards.

Reply 402 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alegend45 wrote:

She means with the actual chip. I did a little research, not having an S3 myself, and determined that the Trio64 and the Trio64V+ are integrated 864s and 868s respectively, between which there is no difference but motion video capabilities in the 868. The Windows 3.1 driver doesn't seem to use that though, meaning that the drivers should work on both cards.

The Xfree drivers suggest that MMIO has changed significantly between x64 and x68.

Reply 404 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sadly, my coding skills in C and C++ are like a skeleton (I mean coding from scratch or porting from C++ to C), so, I doubt I can get the NE2k ISA working on your emulator. (From the datasheet Sarah gave me of the DP8390 one, well, looks complex, and I think I need to look into it more)
Btw, have you people looked at the CD Audio Track Time issue I have posted some posts earlier?

Last edited by SA1988 on 2014-03-02, 19:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 405 of 1046, by Yamato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SarahWalker wrote:
Yamato wrote:

I have a problem installing MS DOS 6.22 on Award SIS 496/497. It's stuck on "Starting MS-DOS..." 🙁

Is this booting off floppy? If so, have the floppy drives in the BIOS been configured correctly?

No it is not booting. I tried several different versions of MS DOS 6.22 and it still doesn't work. I wll try changing floppy settings in BIOS and will report soon.

Reply 406 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yamato wrote:
SarahWalker wrote:
Yamato wrote:

I have a problem installing MS DOS 6.22 on Award SIS 496/497. It's stuck on "Starting MS-DOS..." 🙁

Is this booting off floppy? If so, have the floppy drives in the BIOS been configured correctly?

No it is not booting. I tried several different versions of MS DOS 6.22 and it still doesn't work. I wll try changing floppy settings in BIOS and will report soon.

This can also be a BIOS issue, I'm using the right bios of the Award 496/497 and goes installing just fine.

Reply 408 of 1046, by Alegend45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SarahWalker wrote:
Alegend45 wrote:

The Xfree drivers suggest that MMIO has changed significantly between x64 and x68.

Interesting. Do you have a link by any chance?

EDIT: Also, there aren't any drivers on Windows for the 864, and the VGADOC says they're almost the same.

Reply 409 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alegend45 wrote:

Interesting. Do you have a link by any chance?

Have a look in http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/programs/ … attic=0#dirlist; you'll have to look at older revisions as the driver was removed at one point. newmmio.h shows the differences between the s3_generic and newmmio drivers, and drivers/newmmio/newmmio.c specifically checks for x68 or Trio64V.

EDIT: Also, there aren't any drivers on Windows for the 864, and the VGADOC says they're almost the same.

Not sure what you mean by 'there aren't any drivers'. 3.x doesn't ship with 864 drivers, but then it ships with very few drivers at all, and 864 drivers for 3.x do exist. Win9x ships with suitable drivers for both 864 and 764.

I also wouldn't take VGADOC as gospel - there's not a lot in it about x68. Besides, it doesn't really document MMIO at all.

Reply 412 of 1046, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed an odd thing with Monster Truck Madness in that it only draws the sky buffer. This bug may affect other games involving the same Terminal Reality 3d engine, though i've only tested MTM (and oddly didn't test Fury3, Terminal Velocity, MTM2, Hellbender, CART Precision Racing).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 414 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alegend45 wrote:

EDIT: Rather, it doesn't install on Windows 3.1. It asks for the S3 Flat Model Driver Disk.

Point Windows back at the directory containing the drivers. Also update your PCem checkout, as I've just committed a fix relating to these drivers. I think the 1 meg version of 640x480x16M is slightly broken, but there's no reason to use this mode at present (it's unaccelerated for a start).

Reply 415 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SarahWalker wrote:
Alegend45 wrote:

EDIT: Rather, it doesn't install on Windows 3.1. It asks for the S3 Flat Model Driver Disk.

Point Windows back at the directory containing the drivers. Also update your PCem checkout, as I've just committed a fix relating to these drivers. I think the 1 meg version of 640x480x16M is slightly broken, but there's no reason to use this mode at present (it's unaccelerated for a start).

What about the foreground color issue on MS Write on Win3.1?
EDIT: Screenshot attached. (16bit color used, happens in 256 color mode too, but red)
EDIT2: I'm using the same drivers that Sarah has used (the above link)

Attachments

• Filename
    s3_foreground.png
    File size
    29.87 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 416 of 1046, by Alegend45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SarahWalker wrote:
Alegend45 wrote:

I did that. Does the same thing again.

Reply 417 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SA1988 wrote:

Fixed.

Alegend45 wrote:

I've had no problems installing these drivers, apparently neither has SA1988. Maybe you've extracted them wrong or something.

Reply 418 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SarahWalker wrote:
Fixed. […]
Show full quote
SA1988 wrote:

Fixed.

Alegend45 wrote:

I've had no problems installing these drivers, apparently neither has SA1988. Maybe you've extracted them wrong or something.

many thanks Sarah! Keep it up! 😀