VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 541 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
therock247uk wrote:

Possible to implement a menu option to send control + alt + delete to the emulator? would save having to do it on the host.

That sounds like a good idea! Pressing Control+Alt+Delete can't be done in this release of PCem right now because it affects host PCs. The Control+Alt+Delete command is required for users to log on to their user accounts on Windows NT.

Reply 542 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay...for some reason in SA1988's latest PCem 8.1 binary (revision 91), Windows 3.x hangs and I have to hit reset to restart PCem and it has to do with the DOS mouse driver. 🙁

Has the latest binary of PCem been finished yet? If so, please post the update here. Also, with the latest update, I can test Windows NT 3.51 installations under PCem.

Edit: I'm using the Logitech v6.43 mouse driver for DOS and Windows and under this revision of PCem as a temporary workaround, I had to type in the following: mouse /out. With this command, the mouse driver gets removed from memory before I start Windows 3.1. When I exit Windows, I would reload the mouse driver again by typing in mouse /mema. If I don't, then Windows 3.1 will hang and I have to restart the VM.

Reply 545 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ppgrainbow wrote:

Okay...for some reason in SA1988's latest PCem 8.1 binary (revision 91), Windows 3.x hangs and I have to hit reset to restart PCem and it has to do with the DOS mouse driver. 🙁

Was fixed in revision 93. The bug seems to have affected all mouse drivers.

Reply 546 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SarahWalker wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:

Was fixed in revision 93. The bug seems to have affected all mouse drivers.

Thanks for telling me. I appreciate it! 😁 Until SA1988 or someone posts the PCem v8.1 revision 93 binary somewhere, I'm probably gonna be sticking with the CuteMouse drivers. I have no problem using the CuteMouse and Logitech Mouseware drivers in the past and they both work great. 😀

Reply 549 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canadianjeff wrote:

trying to get linux running on PCem this is as far as I got

What distribution are you running? I've successfully run Suse 6.3 before.

SA1988 wrote:

x86 illegal 003B 8001003B 0008:8013A1C8 0F

0x0f is a prefix, so you'd have to patch x86illegal to print all of fetchdat to determine exactly which instruction it is. It's entirely possible that this is completely normal though. Win 3.x/9x use the illegal opcode 0x0f 0xff as a syscall trap, and the floating point opcodes 0xd8-0xdf will often show up as illegal due to lazy FPU context switching.

Reply 551 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SarahWalker wrote:
What distribution are you running? I've successfully run Suse 6.3 before. […]
Show full quote
canadianjeff wrote:

trying to get linux running on PCem this is as far as I got

What distribution are you running? I've successfully run Suse 6.3 before.

SA1988 wrote:

x86 illegal 003B 8001003B 0008:8013A1C8 0F

0x0f is a prefix, so you'd have to patch x86illegal to print all of fetchdat to determine exactly which instruction it is. It's entirely possible that this is completely normal though. Win 3.x/9x use the illegal opcode 0x0f 0xff as a syscall trap, and the floating point opcodes 0xd8-0xdf will often show up as illegal due to lazy FPU context switching.

about that log, it can cause a BSOD inside NT 3.x/4.0.
unexpected_kernel_mode_trap (0x7F) (first parametre is 0x06)

Reply 552 of 1046, by Windows95Fan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because of the following lines in the nvr.c file, I can't change the virtual PC BIOS time and date on PCem:

void getnvrtime()
{
int c,d;
uint8_t baknvr[10];
// memset(nvrram,0,10);
// return;
memcpy(baknvr,nvrram,10);
GetLocalTime(&systemtime);
d=systemtime.wSecond%10;
c=systemtime.wSecond/10;
nvrram[0]=d|(c<<4);
d=systemtime.wMinute%10;
c=systemtime.wMinute/10;
nvrram[2]=d|(c<<4);
d=systemtime.wHour%10;
c=systemtime.wHour/10;
nvrram[4]=d|(c<<4);
d=systemtime.wDayOfWeek%10;
c=systemtime.wDayOfWeek/10;
nvrram[6]=d|(c<<4);
d=systemtime.wDay%10;
c=systemtime.wDay/10;
nvrram[7]=d|(c<<4);
d=systemtime.wMonth%10;
c=systemtime.wMonth/10;
nvrram[8]=d|(c<<4);
d=systemtime.wYear%10;
c=(systemtime.wYear/10)%10;
nvrram[9]=d|(c<<4);
if (baknvr[0]!=nvrram[0] ||
baknvr[2]!=nvrram[2] ||
baknvr[4]!=nvrram[4] ||
baknvr[6]!=nvrram[6] ||
baknvr[7]!=nvrram[7] ||
baknvr[8]!=nvrram[8] ||
baknvr[9]!=nvrram[9]) nvrram[0xA]|=0x80;
}

Reply 554 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anyone tried to install Windows 3.0 on the AMI 286 BIOS yet?

Again using PCem v8.1r91, I made numerous configurations besides setting up a 500 MB HD image (chs: 1016-16-63) which is the largest that the 286-based BIOS can handle:

1. Max out the RAM on the 286 BIOS to 16 MB before downgrading the RAM to 8 MB and then 4 MB respectively.
2. Changed display drivers numerous times, including using the EGA driver.

When I attempted to install Windows 3.0, Windows Setup halts with a blinking cursor in the black background after inserting disk 2. I'm wondering if there is a way around this... :\

Furthermore, a dynamic drive overlay (DDO) is required if you create a hard disk image larger than 504 MB on the 286 BIOS. In this perspective, when I try to access the hard disk image with a DDO installed using WinImage, the disk image is inaccessible.

Reply 556 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
theelf wrote:
Hi, some questions, ijust discover this emulator […]
Show full quote

Hi, some questions, ijust discover this emulator

1 - Version 4.1 works OK, but version 8.1 just open, and close... my system is XP SP3, an my CPU a celeron M 900. Any ideas?

2 - How i go to fullscreen?? i tried all keys.. no luck

Thanks

It's probably because the 900 MHz Celeron processor and not the operating system itself is too slow to use the later and more stable versions of PCem. Infact, PCem won't work properly on single core processors anymore.

I'm currently running PCem on Windows Vista SP2 64-bit with a 3.8 GHz AMD FX-3800 Quad-core processor and this computer is capable enough of emulating a 100 MHz i486DX4 based PC inside PCem. 😀

Reply 559 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
theelf wrote:

ppgrainbow thanks for reply, my mistake, i believe this emulator was less "hungry" that dosbox, thats why i had interest, I only want for playing games

Thanks

You're welcome. Until you get a better motherboard, you should either use DOSBox or remain on PCem v0.41.