VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 202 of 1046, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alegend45 wrote:

Hey, Sarah, do you think you could port PCEm to Linux, please? My best computer only works with Linux, so I can't use PCEm as fast as possible, because Wine has an overhead.

Y'know, the source code is sitting right there.

Reply 204 of 1046, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SarahWalker wrote:

I don't think I've ever said that development binaries can't be shared. I'd prefer it if they weren't made widely available, as they aren't guaranteed to be stable, however I accept that since releases are getting slower (due to real life) that this isn't an entirely reasonable position. I don't, however, want to try to support a huge number of unstable releases single handedly.

Maybe a "monthly" build could do the work. It could be used to get a wider range of bug reports, and supporting it could be easier.

SarahWalker wrote:

The emulators you mention have multiple developers and large and active userbases, whereas PCem is just me developing and probably just the few people who post in this thread as a userbase. Hence the release schedule isn't about 'elitism', it's about me trying to stay sane.

Keep in mind that most users won't know that PCem is actively developed, because they only look for binaries (and 0.7 binaries are "old"). Having newer binaries may raise some interest, some users need "closed" configurations (i.e.: Amstrad PC1512) to feel the real speed and MESS is not as user friendly as PCem (when MESS systems works).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 205 of 1046, by Alegend45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Alegend45 wrote:

Hey, Sarah, do you think you could port PCEm to Linux, please? My best computer only works with Linux, so I can't use PCEm as fast as possible, because Wine has an overhead.

Y'know, the source code is sitting right there.

I tried, but it's giving me a lot of problems and is generally unpleasant.

Reply 207 of 1046, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only time where it "stops working" for me is when I go through the Add Hardware wizard's detection routine.

Maybe try not adding hardware every time you use Windows instead of repeating the post every few posts? It's not going to get it fixed faster, and it isn't hard to use tab, arrows and enter in Windows setup.. All this time you took posting the same thing could've been used to complete Windows setup

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 216 of 1046, by johnnynoone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SarahWalker, why sometimes (e.g. when installing Windows 95) the virtual mouse stops working?
I also want to change the virtual BIOS time and date!
And finally, CDDA music doesn't work when I play the original Rayman with PCem.

Last edited by johnnynoone on 2013-10-18, 23:01. Edited 1 time in total.