VOGONS

First post, by kneedragger37

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, after building up a stock of parts for my Pentium-100 and PIII projects, I had enough leftover parts to put together a pretty bangin' PII-400 system as well. Here are the specs:

Enlight case w/250-watt P/S
ASUS P2B Mobo
Intel PII-400
256MB PC-100 SDRAM
IBM Deskstar 14GXP HDD
Toshiba XM6702B 48X CD-ROM
Matrox G200 AGP 2d Card
2 Voodoo2 3d cards in SLI
SB AWE64 Gold

So, I'm thinking win98SE, but I've heard arguments for win95 in different threads on here... what do y'all think?

Reply 3 of 8, by slipkord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only reason I can think off the top of my head why Win95 maybe preferable over Win98 would be compatibility.

If a significant number of your games were designed for Win95, then put Win95 and be done with it, should be quite fast on your rig. DirectX versioning may be a factor too between Win95 or Win98 (say DX 3/5/6 for W95?).

Otherwise, if you just care about getting most of your Win9x games to work, and assuming they're happy with DX7 or 8.1, then 98 SE is the way to go.

Reply 5 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you didn't have AGP and USB, go with 95 OSR2.5. But with a P2B, I'd go with 98SE.

Win2K won't work well with games of those days, and it really needs more than 256 MB RAM.

Reply 7 of 8, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
slipkord wrote:

The only reason I can think off the top of my head why Win95 maybe preferable over Win98 would be compatibility.

If a significant number of your games were designed for Win95, then put Win95 and be done with it, should be quite fast on your rig. DirectX versioning may be a factor too between Win95 or Win98 (say DX 3/5/6 for W95?).

Makes me wonder: anyone ever tried a successful Win98/Win95 dual boot?

leileilol wrote:

win2k/w95c dualboot usually works for me. Win2k is faster than 98 on my p2 233 though, at Wintune95 especially

😳 I thought W2K eats up more resources than Win9x?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.