VOGONS

First post, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ask this because I'm thinking about putting that AL440LX board back in its proper case, and moving the BP6 to a case of its own so that no one's baffled as to why the board layout sticker on the bottom of the case doesn't match the actual hardware inside. (Also, it would let me have another usable system, especially if I decide to get a slotket and slap one of my Celeron 533 Mendocinos in it after I mod the BP6 to accept some Coppermine P3s.)

However, I don't know of any modern cases that have a PC speaker inside-after all, they haven't been of use for the last several years. But there has to be at least one case out there that I could snag that still has the speaker. (Of course, if you know of a way to route PC speaker output through an AWE64 Gold and out to the 3.5mm speakers, this wouldn't be a concern at all...)

Also, I hear that modern PSUs don't have -5V power anymore, which is apparently necessary for ISA cards. Any recommendations on this front? (I'd want it to be at least 300W or more, and of course efficient and reliable; 2P boards obviously suck down more power than 1P ones!)

Finally, I'm thinking about just running Win98SE virtualized under Win2000 on the BP6 system as a good way to make use of a dual-CPU system. (Win98SE can't use more than one CPU anyway, whereas Win2000 can use both. Thus, it's best to spend as much time as possible in Win2000, right?) This would also keep me from having to reboot just to play one of those not-NT-friendly titles. However, I still have performance and compatibility concerns when it comes to virtualization, especially with regards to 3D acceleration.

Reply 1 of 11, by jthieme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

According to the manual for the AWE 64 it has a speaker input under the CD inputs, see secton 1-2:

http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/Manuals/TS … 877/english.pdf

As for power supplies, if the connector from the PS fits your motherboard it should supply the necessary voltages as far as I know. If you need an older style AT powersupply you can get them from Frys:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3238001

Reply 2 of 11, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, at least I don't have to worry about the PC speaker anymore...but where do I get a proper passthrough cable? The speaker connector is a 4-pin from the look of it, but the AWE64 passthrough connector only has 2 pins. I take it that it's time to learn how to make my own cables?

Anyway, let's focus a bit more on Win98SE virtualization under Win2000. I'm sure that at least one of you is packing a dual-core CPU that can be put to really good use in this manner.

Reply 3 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why bother with with Windows 98 in emulation on Windows 2000 when Windows 2000 itself can run pretty much all GDI/DirectDraw games that Windows 98 can?

Back in 1995-1999 I would run 95/NT4, 98/NT4 dual-boot. 9x for gaming and NT4 for internet surfing and work.

When Windows 2000 came out it was 98/2000 dual-boot until I had finished my 2000 compatibility testing and was happy that 2000 supported all of my games. By then XP was out so it was a 2000/XP dual-boot.
I pretty much stuck with that until Windows 2003 came out and then it was just Windows 2003 in a single-boot until Vista came out and then it was a 2003/Vista dual-boot.

Now Vista isn't as compatible as XP/2003 so a XP/Vista or 2003/Vista dual-boot is still a good idea for people really worried about compatibility.

In your case you should do a Windows 98/Windows 2000 dual-boot....but only if you plan on actually using Windows 2000 on that machine. If your not going to ever boot regularly into 2000 on that machine then there's not point in putting it on there.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The only ISA cards that use a -5V line are truly ancient 8-bit ISA devices. The only two I know of are the IBM 5.25" Diskette Drive Adapter than the Roland LAPC-I sound card.

Reply 5 of 11, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Nah, most VGA cards and some sound cards need -5V for analog signal generation.

If you know where the hot side of a soldering iron is you can make the -5V of the -12V using an integrated voltage regulator.

1+1=10

Reply 6 of 11, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use Win2000 far more regularly than Win98SE for one particular reason: SMP support. (Oh, and my BP6 system is maxed out with 768 MB of PC-133 SDRAM, and I've been told that Win98SE trips and falls flat on its face in some cases if you go over 512 MB. Well, I've had a few "not enough memory" messages...)

As far as ISA goes, the only ISA card I currently use in the BP6 system is the AWE64 Gold. I plan to add an Interwave-based Gravis Ultrasound in the other slot(if I can find one). I may also take out the AWE64 Gold if an Aureal SQ2500 provides excellent SB16 emulation, and put either a Roland LAPC-I or a SCC-1 with CM-32 attached in its place. Do any Ultrasound or dedicated Roland Sound Canvas ISA cards use -5V?

(I know what you're thinking-that's a LOT of sound cards for one PC. However, I'd prefer to have total compatibility in what is mostly a legacy gaming machine, with another major use as an Internet terminal.)

Reply 7 of 11, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Do any Ultrasound or dedicated Roland Sound Canvas ISA cards use -5V?

This is how you will know.

Attachments

• neg_power_isa.jpg
    Filename
    neg_power_isa.jpg
    File size
    33.69 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Negative supply on ISA bus
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

1+1=10

Reply 8 of 11, by jthieme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting about the -5V and the SCC-1, I never realized that was something I needed to be concerned about. So what are the symptoms if your power supply doesn't give the needed -5v? I have my SCC-1 in a Soyo P4 ISA system with a pretty new (purchase in the last year) 450W power supply and haven't seen any issues that I'm aware of. Is it something that will just fry the card eventually? (I hope not)

As for Win98 and memory support, you shouldn't have any problem at 768MB with Win98. It theoritically supports up to 1GB but in principal the actual value is less since it needs to map some thing to the close to 1GB area. And even if it is a problem, you can limit the amount a RAM that Win98 sees to less via an entry in system.ini. I.E, I have 1GB ram in my Soyo but I only let Win98 see 768mb of that so I don't have problems.

Reply 9 of 11, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I figured out some Win98SE RAM tricks over at TTLG. It's currently set to only see 512 MB. Apparently has something to do with how the 32-bit protected mode cache driver maps the memory addresses.

That image is also quite helpful...now I've got to look up some GUS and Roland ISA card pics that hopefully have a good view of the pinout.

Reply 10 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jthieme wrote:

Interesting about the -5V and the SCC-1, I never realized that was something I needed to be concerned about. So what are the symptoms if your power supply doesn't give the needed -5v? I have my SCC-1 in a Soyo P4 ISA system with a pretty new (purchase in the last year) 450W power supply and haven't seen any issues that I'm aware of. Is it something that will just fry the card eventually? (I hope not)

I was not aware that the SCC-1 used -5v. Its manual states that it uses only +5v and+12v. The SCC-1 is a Roland GS midi card, the LAPC-I, which does require -5v, is the Roland MT-32 based card. Are you sure you aren't confusing the two?

Reply 11 of 11, by jthieme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

I was not aware that the SCC-1 used -5v. Its manual states that it uses only +5v and+12v. The SCC-1 is a Roland GS midi card, the LAPC-I, which does require -5v, is the Roland MT-32 based card. Are you sure you aren't confusing the two?

Yes I was confusing the two. I don't have the LAPC card, just the SCC-1 and an external MT32. Thanks for clearing that up.