Topic actions

Reply 20 of 39, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ladies & Gentlemen
I'm back with new questions 😜
So MiniMax that configuration of your's helped me somehow,but there was a problem,it kept ignoring the CD ROM in dos mode,so it was useless.I switched back to my old configuration and resolved the STACKS Overflow problem by playing around but I'm still stuck with the lack of EMS,XMS or whatever memory in DOS mode.Thing is I must find a way to use a little more than 640 kb ram,but not the whole memory,because when I followed swaaey's instructions I used the whole memory,causing Windows to stuck.Any help? \:S

Reply 21 of 39, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Remove I=B000-B7FF from EMM386
Add some exclusion like:
device=emm386.exe RAM X=E000-EFFF
or
device=emm386.exe RAM X=D000-DFFF

If nothing work, try
device=emm386.exe RAM X=A000-FFFF
and try to reduce the excluson address range

It seems you have some hardware devices memory mapped in HMA, which can't be used and you don't need with dos, if their memory range is taken by emm386 (network, scsi, usb controllers...)

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 22 of 39, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mortal Kombat 3 and LBA run great with the first one,but I tried Utlima Online,Elder Scrolls Arena and Daggerfall and they all fail to start cause of lack of base memory and lower memory.The two other options made my Windows go nuts like with swaaey's options

Reply 23 of 39, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Post your entire config.sys and autoexec.bat files. Run "sysedit" and copy and paste.

Are you booting into DOS directly, or exiting Windows into "DOS mode"? Or are you trying to run games within Windows?

Reply 26 of 39, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bah nothing...
Well at least now I'm convinced I'm gonna smash this CPU.I tried playing Grim Fandago and guess what I couldn't play it,FPS was about 7 to 10.Well I certainly remember playing Grim Fandago on my P1 133 mhz flawlessly and Jedi Knight too!
So I decided to find a slot 1 cpu for my old mainboard!Now question!I have a P3 500 mhz SLOT 1 and I would like to know if it would be possible to use it on another mainboard I have.Mainboard is from 98' and it came with a P2 233 mhz Slot 1,it was the HP Vectra VL something.Only thing I remember is that it also had a Millennium II and 64 mb ram.I sure hope it'll work 🙁

Reply 27 of 39, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Easy way to gain some free low (conventional) memory in dos (Win95/98 dos that is) is to edit msdos.sys and add these lines (if you are not using compressed drives):
DBLSpace=0
DRVSpace=0
😎

Reply 29 of 39, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In section [Options] of msdos.ys, I have them between BootMulti= and Logo=.
And don't forget to remove system, read-only and hidden attributes before editing and adding them after (attrib -s -h -r msdos.sys and +s +r +h after). 😎

Reply 33 of 39, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Don't know where, but somewhere on the Win95 CD (or maybe on the HD), there should be a program called MEMMAKER. Start it with a very simple CONFIG.SYS / AUTOEXEC.BAT in place, and it will run through various mutations of HIMEM, EMS, XMS, etc, etc and find an optimal setting.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 34 of 39, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can find MEMMAKER in a self-extracting archive from MS called OLDDOS.EXE, look for it with google and extract it in c:\windows\command\

Reply 35 of 39, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ahhh!!!I ran memmaker and it DID give me some sweet XMS 😜,but no conventional dammit...
Ok so here is my configuration,I've included the msdos.sys also:

http://rapidshare.com/files/69868543/my_confi … ration.zip.html

Sorry no txt files,just the .sys and .bat files 😉

Reply 36 of 39, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You should try to use DEVICEHIGH on FDATACD.SYS and OAKCDROM.SYS. Just see if it will work.

Similar, the MOUSE, KEYB and MSCDEX that you load, try with LOADHIGH.

If you are lucky it will work, it not then just revert to the current setup.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 37 of 39, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MiniMax beat me to it. 😉
Anyway here are modified files, check them out and see if you get more free memory.

Attachments

• Filename
    conf_mod.zip
    File size
    1.01 KiB
    Downloads
    187 downloads
    File comment
    Modified configuration files
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 38 of 39, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These two lines seem to conflict together
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DEV\FDATACD.SYS /D:MSCD0HP
DEVICEHIGH=C:\OAKCDROM.SYS /D: OEMCDROM

They are both cd-rom drivers

In autoexec.bat, only the first one is used
LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD0HP /M:12

In config.sys
keep only the cd drivers which work best

In autoexec.bat
/D: from MSCDEX line must be the same than /D: from cd driver in config.sys