VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Running a Windows 9x machine on a retro PC can make one seek better performance. One suggestion is to use a program like 98lite to remove the resource hog IE and Web Explorer Enhancements. It can also reduce the hard drive footprint and increase bootup time as well. Obviously, any install of Win 98 will not be especially useful without DirectX. Additionally, if you use multiplayer network drivers will be required. The drivers for your particular hardware cards will take up some space. These lite installs may not be compatible with Microsofy 98 bugfixes and patches.

Is it worth it? Does the removal of so much stuff kill the games?

Reply 3 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The biggest benefit is to low memory machines, but then you can just stick in more RAM. I always found it to be noticeably less stable with a number of things broken, too. You can re-add some of the missing components to fix some of the broken things, but then you get less of the minimal speed boost.

As leileilol said, not worth it. Just max out the RAM.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I have read, Windows 9x has a bug that prevents it from starting up if you have more than 512MB in the system. This bug can be overcome if you "add the following line to the [VCache] section of your win.ini file: MaxFileCache = 524288." However, is it really worth it to have 1GB of RAM in a BX motherboard system that will not be running 2000/XP or have a speed greater than 1.13GHz?

Reply 5 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are talking about a later machine than I was thinking of. If you stick in 128 megs, I see no point in 98 Lite.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yes, even if you go to the limit of 512, you don't need more than that for normal Win9x things.
I do have to say that I have mostly fond memories of 98lite, I had been using it since shortly after it was first heard of. And it did work fine for me up to and including ME. I don't remember too many problems but then again I always loved to tinker my system to death anyway 😀
Nowadays I wouldn't bother anymore so I advice against using it 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah if you've never used it before, it will take extra hours of tweaking to get it figured out. I'd just stick with Win98SE. That's how I've always ended up going even after trying out 98lite a few times.