User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So found this:

Pentium 4 1.5 GHz
256 MB RAM
Ati Rage 128 PRO Ultra AGP

Nice eh?I changed the Ati Rage with a GeForce 2 MX 400 in AGP.
Installed Windows 98 - Check
Chipset Drivers - Check
Display Drivers - Check
Audio Drivers for Windows - Check
CD and mouse Drivers - Check
DOS Audio Drivers - FAIL

Yeah guess what I didn't put any soundblaster card on and that's why because I don't have one on PCI , only ISA.
And even if I did,it wouldn't fit because this PC is a Dell GX 240 which only has one PCI and one AGP and they are so close that I cannot put anything on.So I'm stuck with a Soundmax intergraded audio driver crap which can NOT work in DOS.So no audio in DOS 🙁
Any suggestions boys?

Reply 4 of 24, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

PCI sound cards and DOS never get along anyway.

Actually, there are PCI sound cards that work on DOS. Alas, many of them require EMM386, which is incompatible with Ultima 7. Maybe your best best is YMF-724 or Aureal Vortex 2. Or maybe you wanna' try UMBPCI.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Will it do the job?

Only so far as Kreshna pointed out. It requires EMS for its drivers (and you NEED to load the drivers for sound - unlike some old SB cards) and some games do not work with EMS (even if you use UMBPCI).

Last edited by Dominus on 2007-12-16, 17:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 24, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I have a soundblaster Live somewhere.Will it do the job?

It has horrible support via a TSR though. In most games (like Sierra games) you will not get PCM sound. At all. Plus its provided FM emulation sounds horrible and is slow.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

It has horrible support via a TSR though. In most games (like Sierra games) you will not get PCM sound. At all. Plus its provided FM emulation sounds horrible and is slow.

Have you found this to be the case with all models of SoundBlaster Live? My Live 5.1 behaves quite nicely.

Reply 11 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Then I'll stick with the Soundblaster 16

huh, did I misread it completely? I thought you don't have an ISA slot?

Last edited by Dominus on 2007-12-16, 17:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes but I do have another PC which I will use for DOS with a SB16.Duh I didn't write it right before sorry.
So here is another problem:

I installed directX 9c for Windows 98.

Morrowind runs OK
No one lives forever doesn't have any textures on the characters and the backgrounds just have RANDOM textures which randomly change!
Fifa 2002 doesn't run at all it just kicks me out in the desktop
Half Life runs REALLY REALLY slow on D3D and on Software mode it's like crap.I just uses some random color pallette or that's what I think.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Reply 13 of 24, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Have you found this to be the case with all models of SoundBlaster Live? My Live 5.1 behaves quite nicely.

My Live! 5.1 did what I described and also the earlier Live! Value i had before that was like that as well

F2bnp wrote:
Morrowind runs OK No one lives forever doesn't have any textures on the characters and the backgrounds just have RANDOM textures […]
Show full quote

Morrowind runs OK
No one lives forever doesn't have any textures on the characters and the backgrounds just have RANDOM textures which randomly change!
Fifa 2002 doesn't run at all it just kicks me out in the desktop
Half Life runs REALLY REALLY slow on D3D and on Software mode it's like crap.I just uses some random color pallette or that's what I think.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Rage cards aren't really all that hot as the PR said. You might want to get a different video card.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you even paying attention to what I write?
I've got this system:

P4 1.5 GHz
256 RAM
GeForce 2 MX 400 with 64 MB RAM

The problems I wrote above occure with THIS system not with the Rage 128 PRO Ultra.Besides Morrowind would not even play with a 16 mb ram card.

Reply 17 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Morrowind eats up CPU like nothing else. You don't get that game to be really fast until you get like an Athlon 64 or better behind it.

Well, I don't mean to say that a TNT is adequate. Something like a Radeon 9700 is good enough to max out the 3D rendering portion of Morrowind though.

Reply 18 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes but I don't have any problems with Morrowind.
Today I tried:

Sin
Quake 2 demo
Crusaders of Might&Magic
Revenant
System Shock 2

They all worked fine except System Shock 2 which kicks me to the desktop

Reply 19 of 24, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Are you even paying attention to what I write?
I've got this system:

yes, and you didn't make things clear to use when you switched the video card. Stop throwing us off , be straight and maybe your issues will be solved. 🙄

Try using older forceware, like 66.xx

apsosig.png
long live PCem