VOGONS

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder about Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner --a cheap set of joystick and throttle. Well, it does come with throttle anyway, so I may be able to use it to play more serious flightsims on DOSBox (like F-16 Combat Pilot and Falcon 3.0) on my laptop. I don't plan to use HOTAS Cougar to play on my laptop. In fact, the controllers need to be cheap and light so I can easily carry it anywhere.

Alas, many DOS-based flightsims do not support throttle device, so I have to make the throttle working in digital mode. That is, to configure the throttle to emulate key presses. For instance, if the game uses the '+' button to increase throttle, then you need to program the throttle to emulate repeated pressing of the '+' button (++++++++ when throttling up, etc).

Well, "hardcore" Thrusmaster throttle devices (like TQS or WCS) can be programmed to behave such way (digital mode), but can I do the same with that one flimsy throttle that comes with Top Gun Afterburner? Or does it only work in analog mode?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 5, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the tqs ect relied on tsr's loaded in dos to acheive that while the topgun relies on a profiler program that runs in windows - so no

edit: possibly the profiler sends keystrokes to the game so if dosbox works with usb controllers + it accepts the info the windows keybord driver sends out rather than taking to the keyboard itself then maybe

Reply 2 of 5, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

edit: possibly the profiler sends keystrokes

Can the TM Afterburner's profiler send keystrokes as the result of moving the throttle back and forth? It's what I'm looking for, actually.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 4 of 5, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see. What Saitek are you using? X45 or X52? Are they small enough?