VOGONS

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See, NetBurst architecture is always aimed at achieving higher clock speed, while K7 is designed to achieve more instructions per second.

On the other hand, software slowdown utils like MoSlo tends to give "jerky slowdown". Now, considering the difference between NetBurst and K7, which one is smoother when slowed down with software? The one with higher clock speed, or the one with more instructions per second?

Or maybe such architectural difference does not matter?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

MoSlo tends to give "jerky slowdown".

I mentioned that on a forum once, and then the author of moslo came out of nowehre and posted like "prove me wrong" or "don't misinform my product" or so.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 4, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say it won't matter much, since the slowdown needed for most "finicky" games is too big to get smooth results.
Almost all slowdown utilities use the same method, which is forcing the CPU into delay loops at certain intervals, the only thing you can vary is the length of the loop and the frequency of the intervals. This allows for a certain fine tuning, but it won't make the "jerks" disappear. There are other utilities taking advantage of the power-saving features of certain CPUs, these obviously work much better, but your hardware has to be supported.

However, the K6 and Athlon(XP) range of CPUs have one big advantage: Their multipliers are open or can easily be unlocked. Given a late CPU model and a decent mainboard, you get a range of 100 - 500 MHz for the K6 and 500 - 2000 MHz for the Athlon.