VOGONS

First post, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VirtualPC is great for running old windows games. Problem is I can't scale the window like with dosbox. Anyone know of any possible way to do it? Fallout plays in 640x480 and unless I play fullscreen it's very tiny.

Reply 1 of 8, by {{DoX}}

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use VirtualPC 2004 and in a menu (I think it was tools or something) it allowed you to mount an image to your virtual CD that would allow you install some software to your virtual PC. It would allow you to move the mouse from you VM computer to your normal OS without detaching it with a key combination and share folders from your physical HDD. It also allowed you to resize your window freely and the OS would configure to it...

Reply 3 of 8, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Use Timeslips fallout mod for Fallout to adjust the resolution.

Doesn't that introduce issues though? I'd rather just scale the output, but from what I'm reading theres no such feature in VPC.

Reply 4 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd rather just scale the output, but from what I'm reading theres no such feature in VPC.

That would require actualy development, this is VPC we're talking about here.

DosFreak wrote:

I'm not aware of any issues except those that happen if you don't use his mod.

http://timeslip.chorrol.com/sfall.html

This was a quick fallout mod which I originally stuck together to try and fix a few minor annoyances that I had with the games, […]
Show full quote

This was a quick fallout mod which I originally stuck together to try and fix a few minor annoyances that I had with the games, but which has since turned into a slightly bigger mod which fixes some other peoples annoyances too. The main features are:

Increase movement and combat speed to up to 10x normal.
Play fallout in a window or in 16 bit colour mode
Use d3d9 in place of the usual ddraw
Use the mouse scroll wheel in the inventory, barter, conversation and save/load menus.
Assign a use to the middle mouse button, and adjust mouse sensitivity beyond fallouts normal range
Adjust or remove the 13 year time limit
Fixes the broken pathfinder and sharpshooter perks
Adds some additional script functions for modders to use
The downloads are specific to a single version of the fallout exe, so make sure you download the right one. Most of the features aren't applicable to fallout 1, and dx9 graphics modes and upscaling filters don't work in the windows 9x versions. There is no version available for the DOS version of fallout1.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes I can get it to scale when I switch it to full screen. It's a strange thing. It won't always do it. You might need to start it windowed and then Alt+Enter, or maybe have it start in full screen. Not sure.

Reply 6 of 8, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh no, the problem isn't with fullscreen. That works nicely. It's just that with VPC I can play the game windowed. However I'm stuck with a window in the game's native resolution, instead of being able to stretch it myself.

That fan mod looks pretty good, though I'm not so sure about the additions it adds. I'll try it anyway and see how I like it.

Anything similar for Planescape Torment? Theres a mod to add widescreen on bootstrike, but I think thats still brand new and introduces some problems.

Reply 7 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, the Gibberlings 3 Widescreen Mod is pretty good. It's the same MOD for all Infinity Engine games. I've only tried it with BG1/BG2 (Baldur's Gate Trilogy) it works great there. Only issue is if you go too high with the resolution then the text is too small so I stick with 1280x1024 on my 24" (1920X1200 native res) monitor

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline