VOGONS

First post, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If i get an intelligent MPU-401 interface is the SC-55 MKII any different from the SCC-1?

I'd like to get the external model if it is indeed identical to the SCC-1 and then I can swap it out with the external MT-32 whenever I wanted to right?

Is there any reason to get the SCC-1 over the SC-55 MKII if they are identical?

In addition if I got a S-MPU/AT board would it be possible to keep both the SC-55 MKII and the MT-32 modules hooked up simultaneously and switch between them?

Reply 1 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
If i get an intelligent MPU-401 interface is the SC-55 MKII any different from the SCC-1? […]
Show full quote

If i get an intelligent MPU-401 interface is the SC-55 MKII any different from the SCC-1?

I'd like to get the external model if it is indeed identical to the SCC-1 and then I can swap it out with the external MT-32 whenever I wanted to right?

Is there any reason to get the SCC-1 over the SC-55 MKII if they are identical?

In addition if I got a S-MPU/AT board would it be possible to keep both the SC-55 MKII and the MT-32 modules hooked up simultaneously and switch between them?

The SC-55mkII has more patches, more polyphony and slightly better output quality compared to an SCC-1. You can swap external modules whenever you wish. Do not buy an S-MPU/AT to use a game-compatible intelligent midi interface, it doesn't work very well.

Reply 2 of 6, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info what interface should I get if I intend to use these modules solely for games? It needs to be ISA but I have a feeling I really dont have a choice about that....Model numbers appriciated. =)

Reply 3 of 6, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

Do not buy an S-MPU/AT to use a game-compatible intelligent midi interface, it doesn't work very well.

Is this generalization based on a particular statement that I made? I might need to offer some additional clarification if so... 😉

Shagittarius wrote:

Thanks for the info what interface should I get if I intend to use these modules solely for games? It needs to be ISA but I have a feeling I really dont have a choice about that....Model numbers appriciated. =)

I have a spare Roland MPU-IPC-T combo (ISA-based) that I can stand to part with. Promise me you'll use it, and you can have it for the cost of shipping.

Reply 4 of 6, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This would be fantastic! I'm in california, zip code 94941, let me know what your shipping costs would be and how you want payment rendered and I'll set it up today.

This is really a great help to me, I greatly appreciate it.

I sent you a private message to continue discussion.

Reply 5 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:

Do not buy an S-MPU/AT to use a game-compatible intelligent midi interface, it doesn't work very well.

Is this generalization based on a particular statement that I made? I might need to offer some additional clarification if so... 😉

From an older QS post:

Cloudschatze wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:
S-MPU/AT […]
Show full quote

S-MPU/AT

Benefits:
Supports Super MPU Midi Interface
Supports Native/Intelligent Midi
Supports 2x Midi In, 2x Midi Out, SMPTE Timecode
Small Breakout box
2/3 ISA Card Length
5 IRQ & 32 I/O Ports Settings Support

Drawbacks:
No Support for Sync Out, Metronome & Tape Sync
Almost certainly unusuable in XT Bus
Virtually useless without Breakout Box

I bought a brand-new one of these a couple of years ago when I was first getting into the "computer music stuff". Annoyingly, the S-MPU would drop the first note of a musical piece if used without the supplied drivers, such as when used in DOS. Supposedly, this is due to the automatic switching from S-MPU to MPU-401 mode. A huge drawback, needless to say. I boxed the thing back up, and it's been in the closet ever since.

I based my answer to his question from these statements.

Reply 6 of 6, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

I based my answer to his question from these statements.

I thought so. 😀

My experience may have been a result of the system that I was using the S-MPU in, rather than an issue with the interface itself. Since I never tested it in another PC (and no longer have the S-MPU, for that matter), I can't say for certain that it would behave similarly in any other setup.