VOGONS

First post, by pizzaboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With DOSBox being the most popular DOS emulator and currently without save feature, do you guys avoid playing the lengthy games altogether or is the WIKI telling fibs and there are better DOS emulators out there?

Reply 2 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably, lengthy games have their own save feature. Back in time, people used the save feature included in the games, or finished the games in a shot.

Maybe, you would try GW32 (it has a Status save feature), but I don't know if it works inside DOXBox. Or you can try VMWare (can save the status of a virtual machine), but I'm afraid DOSBox is better emulating sound and joysticks.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 8, by pizzaboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well some games have working save features (been playing Day of the Tentacle), but others like Dungeon Master ask for a floppy to be inserted?

Obviously with any kind of RPG, not having a save feature seriously causes a temptation to avoid playing them regardless of how good they are...

Bizarre, cos based on the review on Abandonia suggests that the reviewer managed to play Dungeon Master!??!?! Unfortunately Abandonia appears to be down at the moment so couldn't leave a post in their forum.

Reply 5 of 8, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pizzaboy wrote:

but others like Dungeon Master ask for a floppy to be inserted?

Same problem exists on real hardware, It must be played from a subdirectory, not from the root eg C:\FTL\ instead of C:\ which happens if you drag the executable

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 6 of 8, by pizzaboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Erm, a little bizarre...

Dungeon Master's save feature does actually work, however its not very obvious as in modern games.

You save by going into one of the character's equipment screen, and select save. The prompt for a floppy remains consistently open regardless of whether the save was successful or not.

The only way to load a save game is by exiting the entire thing, then re-open it, as the load feature is only accessible on the initial screen!?!?!?

Talk about taking things for granted in modern times, where save/load features can be accessed anytime during the game!?!??!

Reply 7 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Talk about taking things for granted in modern times, where save/load features can be accessed anytime during the game!?!??!

You haven't played console games, have you? Even modern ones are very restrictive about saving and loading...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 8, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pizzaboy wrote:

With DOSBox being the most popular DOS emulator and currently without save feature, do you guys avoid playing the lengthy games altogether or is the WIKI telling fibs and there are better DOS emulators out there?

I....don't understand this? Dos games save in dosbox the same way they saved back in the old days. If the game has saves, it can save. If not then you can't.

Also I don't know about you, but I dislike save states even for console emulators. I prefer to finish the game the way it was meant to be - using in-game saving or making state saves ONLY when a password prompt is shown (aka taking all possible penalties when that screen shows up such as losing exp in faxanadu/willow)