VOGONS

WTB: 5 1/4 PC floppy drive

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see. Thanks. The one that can only read 360KB floppies is actually an old drive, while the one that cannot read any floppies at all is a newer one (bought around 1994 or so).

Too bad I can't exactly remember the brand, but IIRC the old one is Teac.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 21 of 27, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since the PCs these machines are usually found in are pretty old it wouldn't be surprising if the 5.25 inch drive stopped reading disks due to dust build up as well. It goes without saying that your first line of attack should be to bast the hell out of the non working drive with some canned air.

I just recently lost a 3.5" drive on an old P-90, making me paranoid that the 5.25 may go also.

Reply 22 of 27, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 2 Teac's quad density drives. They are a keeper. I use them on my Acorn BBC's and BBC Master.
Have 4 high density drives too, and I'll be willing to give 2 of them. Postal fees only.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 24 of 27, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think they were out of the picture by the time the original PC came out, and that their capacities were ridiculously small by today's standards.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 26 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I used 8" floppies for backups on an Digital LSI-11. We also had a drive in a Data General MV10000, but since that also had an excellent 1/4" tape drive the floppy didn't see much use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-11#The_LSI-11
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_General#MV_Series

Last edited by MiniMax on 2008-03-05, 13:30. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions