VOGONS

First post, by mazhive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does some one know if the commodor64 5 1/4 floppy disk are readble in a standard pc 5 1/4 diskdrive.

I got 2 diskrives and wandering if i could read those disks in a pc equiped with those drives.

Reply 2 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Why shouldn't they be readable?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 6, by mg55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember reading somewhere that C64 drives write to the disk in such a way that they are not readable on PC drives. I believe it's something to do with the controller in the drive itself.

The only solution I ever used was an x-1541 cable. They're really not difficult to make. Connect it to a DOS or Win9x machine to transfer the data to a disk image using software like Star Commander.

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yup, MiniMax, they are not readable. About 13 years ago, I thought myself clever and bought a PC drive to read my C64 disks... Well, doesn't work and I needed a an LPT device that let me hook my old C64 dirve up to the PC.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by mazhive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if its hardware its oke but .. i saw a program who can identify the type of disk and how the disk was writtin in .. its a raw read program which can identify everthing on a floppy disk even if its unreadable due to writting on a different way.(or system)

about that interface controller i thought it was on a amiga system but i could be wrong .

I f you get me ....

Reply 6 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Did some read-up on the issue. Seems the main problem is due to 2 different ways of encoding the bits written to the disk: MFM versus GCR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified_Frequency_Modulation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_Code_Recording

So without the proper hardware (controller) it looks like mission impossible.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions