VOGONS

First post, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My 230w AT PSU in my old box I found is on it's last legs. At first the fan wouldn't even spin, but after giving it a kick start it now seems to want to spin at a low speed. However, now after being on ~20 min the PSU starts to 'sing' to me with a high pitched whine... that can't be good. 🤣

Soooo... what's a reliable yet SILENT-ish PSU for this old box?

I was thinking of This one from Newegg But $30 is a bit steep! Oh well. It has a 3 speed fan that is variable depending on the temp so that's cool (pun not intended). I could always scrounge around at the local PC joint or ebay, but then I wouldn't know how old / abused the PSU has been or even how loud.

Another option I guess is I could get an ATX PSU and then an ATX-AT adapter. This opens up ALL kinds of options.

Or... 3rd option? Get one of this micro PSUs that uses a laptop power supply brick... that'd be well.. SILENT 😀 But I think I might need more wattage than what they can supply?

I already have a 120mm fan in the system, so the PSU doesn't have to have a fan to be the 'sole sucker of heat' from the machine.

Here's what'll be in my system, so I'm assuming I don't need much over what... 150w?

Pentum 200mmx
1 CD-ROM
1 IDE Drive
1 A-floppy
SB16 ISA
Ensoniq Soundscape ISA
MPU-401AT ISA
Ethernet Card PCI
120mm fan

And 1 of the following vid combinations depending on how I feel:
A) S3 64 Trio PCI
B) S3 64 Trio PCI + Voodoo1 PCI
C) Voodoo3 2000 PCI

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 1 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The biggest issue is that you need to get one with a -5v feed. If it lacks this, ISA cards may not work. Make sure you look at the specs for that -5v feed. It seems that sometime around 2001 or so (I'm guessing), this was removed from the ATX spec. Most PSUs out there today do not have it, as I found out when I tried an ISA card and the system would lock up during boot.

The one you linked to does have -5v, so it would work out fine.

150W might be pushing it because that's peak output not continuous. These systems, with lots of 3D cards, can go over 100W.

Reply 2 of 8, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I was a bit worried about the -5, and it's funny how on the specs page it dosen't say -5, but in the pic here: http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/produc … -707-002-03.jpg it does say it supports -5.

I thought -5 wasn't all that important unless you get an ancient ISA card like the LAPC-1. Hmm....

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 4 of 8, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My solution would be a non taken path. Old power supplies are very inefficient. I'd use my 80plus ATX, by getting a $7 ATX y-splitter http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=7898 and rewiring or adding for one end to do AT. Cost is price of the splitter and chore of rewiring for AT. Efficient use of power, even compared to using a separate 80plus power supply.

Reply 5 of 8, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rewiring isn't an option I'd like to take... plug and play baby.. I'm lazy 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe you can have it without rewiring:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATX-to-AT-Motherboard-Pow … 7QQcmdZViewItem

The question is if you can easily connect it to the chassis' power switch. And of course if the respective ATX-PSU has the -5V line swaaye mentioned.

I don't know much about this, but I have an older Enermax EG301AX that has a "-5V = 1A" line in its systems specs. Swaaye, does this automatically mean it's with -5V support? I mean, the PSU feeds a S370 mobo with two ISA slots, and the ensoniq soundscape in one of them runs without problems so far.

As you need the adapter and the ATX PSU, you might end up at 30$ as well...

😖 ...or even more, as a cheap, crappy ATX-psu would not make any sense.

Reply 7 of 8, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well some friends were buying some other newegg parts, so I just decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on that PSU... saved myself some $ on shipping since I was buying w/ other people.

I'll of course respond back on how it works out once it arrives.