VOGONS

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Planning to build an ultimate SVGA dosbox out of a socket 8 ATX motherboard with a Pentium Pro 200 but don't kinow which of my PCI gfx cards to choose for it for playimg games like Privateer 2, Wing Commander 3 etc

What I plan to use are:

Matrox Millenium II
Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM 4mb
Hercules Dynamite 128 (Tseng ET6000) 4mb
OEM S3 Virge GX 4mb

So which one do you guys think will be the most compatible and fastest card for these sort of VESA games?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 1 of 1, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would allways recommend the Matrox Millenlium II, as it gives you the best image quality. It should also be fast enough.
It is a long time that I used this card, but I remember that I included a little driver in the autoexec.bat to get refresh rates over 60hz with SVGA (which is just neccessary when you use a CRT).
S3 based cards sometimes don't need one for this (as they seem to set refresh rates in some SVGA modes automatically to 70 or 75hz e.g.).
S3 chipsets are said be more compatible, but I don't know if that's a question with PII or WC3.
I remember that some cards had difficulties with the movies of WC3, but the game comes with some patch to fix this.
As you have all those cards allready, I would try the Matrox and the Diamond first.